Pistol Assembly Pins

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

BobGee

Pistol Assembly Pins

Post by BobGee »

I've had a problem reassembling a pistol firing pin retaining pin and could only surmise that it was because I was driving the pin in from the wrong side - the manual (Russian) said nothing about this.

In some manuals (FWB), the text is very specific about the direction in which pins holding parts together are driven out and replaced. Other manuals are silent on the subject.

My question is: is there a convention WRT how all pins are removed and replaced, i.e. are horizontal pins always driven out from right to left to disassemble and vice-versa to reassemble? What about vertical pins?

Bob
JamesH

Re: Pistol Assembly Pins

Post by JamesH »

I could only guess vertical pins should be driven out upwards, otherwise no.

On Russian guns pins are for assembly, not so much for disassembly.
rmca

Post by rmca »

The correct answer to your question is: It depends on the pin...

If you have a straight pin horizontal to the gun, drive it out left to right, and put it back right to left. On vertical pins, bottom to top to remove and vice versa to install.

Now if the pins are not straight that's here the fun begins...

If a pin has a head on one side (like a wood nail) drive it out from the other side.
If the ends are riveted over, choose the side that's worst to be the exit side. It will fight you all the way out (they are usually riveted on both sides), but you upset less metal. Put it back the way it came out and rivet it again.
Sometimes it's the frame that's been punched in near the pin. Choose the side that's worst and drive it out from there to the other side. That way only the "head" of the pin has pass that area instead of all of it's length.

Odds are that if you think you're applying too much force to get a pin out (or in) you are probably right. Try driving it out the other way.

Also, very important, make sure all pieces align properly before putting the pin back in. Specially difficult with round pieces, or those that are under spring tension.

Finally, bear in mind that every time you drive a pin out, you enlarge it's hole. If the pin has no retain method except being tight in it's hole, it will come loose with use.
So my advice is don't take it out unless you really have to.

Hope this helps
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Thanks for the full response rmca. Unfortunately, the FWB manual for an AW93 differs WRT direction:
"using a Ø 1,8 mm pin punch remove pin...from the slide, pushing from right to left" (to remove the firing pin retaining pin)

So, am I to understand that it is as you say, LEFT to RIGHT, unless told otherwise?

Bob
rmca

Post by rmca »

BobGee wrote:So, am I to understand that it is as you say, LEFT to RIGHT, unless told otherwise?
Yes. that's how I've been taught.

But, if the manual states otherwise, then follow the manual.
Probably one of the holes is slightly smaller than the other, or the side from where the pin comes out has something to retain it if it comes loose (the frame for example).

The rule here is to try to upset as little metal as you can.
If you always remove the pins LEFT to RIGHT, and put them back from RIGHT to LEFT, then the hole that suffers more is the right side. But the left will be tighter and hold the pin in place.
The same is true if you go RIGHT to LEFT to remove and LEFT to RIGHT to insert. Only here it's the right side that's tighter.

If you randomly remove the pins from whatever side, you will enlarge both holes, and the pin will come loose sonner.

Hope this helps
j-team

Post by j-team »

rmca wrote: ...If you have a straight pin horizontal to the gun, drive it out left to right, and put it back right to left...
Same rule usually applies to dovetailed parts.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Many thanks guys. Now much clearer and the dovetail sights lends weight to the "drive out left to right" convention.

Bob