Damping down .32 Walther recoil

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Alex L

Damping down .32 Walther recoil

Post by Alex L »

Has anyone experimented with damping down the recoil in an old model Walther .32?
I have no problem with the load. It is accurate, and ejecting well. The holes are cut cleanly.
However, my wrist is not as strong as it used to be.
I heard that, a little while ago, some guys experimented with the recoil spring, and another experiment with a rubber buffer behind the slide.
Has anyone done any modifications like this to their Centre fire gun? I would appreciate it if someone can give me some ideas and/or suggestions. I don't want to buy a new,modified, barrel.
Thank you.
Regards, Alex.
Rover

Re: Damping down .32 Walther recoil

Post by Rover »

Sorry, I just can't believe you can't handle the recoil of a .32. Work out a bit (try some 16oz. curls).
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

I shoot a Pardini HP in 32acp it has a built in recoil reduction system so recoil is hard to feel. You might want to try one out. Plus we all need an excuse to buy another toy.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Plus we all need an excuse to buy another toy.
Good thinking !
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

You do know that the barrel shroud of the Walther Expert series has the same type of recoil damping as the Pardini. Ten years ago I turned down my ancient Walther barrels and installed the Expert shrouds. Worked well. A friend for years used a coiled up piece of rubber sheet as a buffer. Both things work but may need a good bit of fiddling to get them right.

Dr Jim
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Alex L wrote:Has anyone experimented with damping down the recoil in an old model Walther .32?
I have no problem with the load. It is accurate, and ejecting well. The holes are cut cleanly.
However, my wrist is not as strong as it used to be.
I heard that, a little while ago, some guys experimented with the recoil spring, and another experiment with a rubber buffer behind the slide.
Has anyone done any modifications like this to their Centre fire gun? I would appreciate it if someone can give me some ideas and/or suggestions. I don't want to buy a new,modified, barrel.
Thank you.
Regards, Alex.
I pack a GSP .32, it's a bit of a brute.

Perhaps a question of ergonomics as much as anything. The GSP has an upright grip with a high bore axis - old skool kool. Also old skool recoil torque.
I have not got a lot to add here, except perhaps you could try a Pardini HP which has a bit more rake to the grip, and a lower bore axis.
Or maybe you could attempt to shift your hand in the grip into a more ergonomic position - old GSP grips suck.

On the subject of buffers. No first hand experience here.
Buffer poked in the back of the upper might tame some of the recoil too. I have also heard of people drilling and tapping the back of the bolt and adding a buffer there. Not for me.
Image Image
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Dr. Jim wrote:You do know that the barrel shroud of the Walther Expert series has the same type of recoil damping as the Pardini. Ten years ago I turned down my ancient Walther barrels and installed the Expert shrouds. Worked well. A friend for years used a coiled up piece of rubber sheet as a buffer. Both things work but may need a good bit of fiddling to get them right.

Dr Jim
The old model Pardini also had an internal recoil buffer, the new model has a piston and stack of O-rings built into the slide.
I would think these have much more effect in taking out the peak 'snap' of the recoil than the barrel system.