Anschutz 18xx / 19xx parts interchange questions

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

trax

Anschutz 18xx / 19xx parts interchange questions

Post by trax »

UPDATED after some late-night research :)

Hey guys,

I have an older left-handed Anschutz 1907 from the late 1990s. The cheek and butt adjustment are limited due to the shim-based design of the rifle, and I've been looking at economical ways to upgrade the stock without shelling $1900+ for a brand-new Precise stock.

This pink unicorn, a left-handed 1809 (?) stock, recently popped up on Nordic Marksman: http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Match-54-Thumb-Hole.html

The stock has the cheek piece and riser hardware, but needs the following: Here's my final question -- what can I do about the butt hook assembly?

My understanding is that 1810 / 1813 rifles originally came with curved butt hooks, like this image:

...but in later generation 19xx rifles, Anschutz used the 4760 "armadillo" style hooks and mounts. Notice that this generation has a slightly different bolt pattern where the extension assembly attaches to the stock:

..so if I purchased a secondhand 4760 extension mount, like the following image, would it be a "plug and play" option? Or were they different sizes?

Thanks!
Last edited by trax on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TerryKuz

Re: Older Anschutz trigger guard and bedding bolts?

Post by TerryKuz »

Neal Stepp at ISS could probably help. Give him a call, email is not his thing.
http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/
trax

Re: Anschutz 18xx / 19xx parts interchange questions

Post by trax »

Thanks Terry.

Bump with some new research. :)
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Trax,

No, not all Anschutz butt carriers and stocks are interchangeable; you need to find a carrier of that's an appropriate age to the stock. I think the change occurred a little earlier than you think, around 1983, so during 1800 production, rather than after. The 4760 butt made its debut around this time too. Whenever the change occurred, the difference is greater than just the location of the fixing screws (wood screws not bolts), aluminium replaced steel, and more importantly the shape of the extension piece changed. Older units have the three rods aligned vertically, newer units have the centre rod offset to one side, so the holes drilled in the stock to accomodate the extension rods differ. If the holes in the stock are vertical, a newer carrier will not fit properly, and vice versa.

That said, I'm sure the mounting slots on the extension are the same for all 1813 butt carriers (and for 1600, and 1400 made after the late 1960s) so a 4760 butt will fit on an older carrier. You do need the baseplate (the grey cigar-shaped bit between the black extension, and the vertical mounting rod), and to remove the old plate and curved base. The back of the carrier will overlap the 4760 base, but that can be overlooked.

Alternatively newer plates like the MEC, Gemini, and Tec-Hro etc should fit the carrier, or even replace it. The Gemini comes with extension rods that fit the base unit so the extension can be removed completely. You'd have to check for the MEC et al, but I think rods can be mounted directly to these too.
trax

Post by trax »

Tim, thanks for the epic reply! Lots of great info. :) Let me make sure I'm understanding everything...
Tim S wrote:If the holes in the stock are vertical, a newer carrier will not fit properly, and vice versa.
OK, that's reassuring--it looks like this stock has offset holes, so it will work with a newer carrier. The fewer old parts that I need to hunt down, the better.

Tim S wrote:That said, I'm sure the mounting slots on the extension are the same for all 1813 butt carriers (and for 1600, and 1400 made after the late 1960s) so a 4760 butt will fit on an older carrier. You do need the baseplate (the grey cigar-shaped bit between the black extension, and the vertical mounting rod), and to remove the old plate and curved base. The back of the carrier will overlap the 4760 base, but that can be overlooked.
My 1907 currently has a 4760 hook on it, which already includes the plate and vertical rail, so all I should need is the 4760-U3B/1 assembly, and my existing mounting plate and hook should bolt right up, correct?

Image Image