Hap Rocketto for NRA BOD

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Hap Rocketto

Hap Rocketto for NRA BOD

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Colleagues,
I would appreciate your support.
Feel free to pass this on to your shooting friends and mailing lists.
Thanks,
Hap

Elect Hap Rocketto to the NRA Board Of Directors

• Hap is a NRA Benefactor member, nominated by petition.
• Supporter of Second Amendment and all NRA/ILA programs.
• Vietnam Era and Gulf War veteran with 21 years of service.
• Board of Directors of Rhode Island Revolver and Rifle Association, Quaker Hill Rod and Gun Club, and Southeastern Connecticut Friends of the NRA.
• Working to grow grassroots youth programs and participation in all shooting disciplines.
• Collector of .22 LR and National Match ammunition, Camp Perry memorabilia, and Winchester Palma rifles.
• NRA Instructor in multiple disciplines and Level 2 coach in smallbore and high power coaching at US Coast Guard Academy.
• NRA Distinguished Smallbore Position Rifle Award, Distinguished Rifleman, Presidents 100, National Record holder, past National Three Position Intermediate Senior and Senior Champion and member of the Connecticut National Guard and All National Guard Smallbore and High Power Teams.
• Represented United States internationally on Roberts, Pershing, and Maccabiah rifle teams.
• Shooting historian published in The American Rifleman, Shooting SUSA, pronematch.com, and other publications.
john bickar

Re: Hap Rocketto for NRA BOD

Post by john bickar »

When is the election? I do not pay much attention to NRA internal politics, but I would vote for you.
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

John,
If you are eligible to vote your ballot will be in your elected NRA magazine this month.
Thanks for the support.
Hap
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Hap: I voted for you since I know you. Don in Oregon
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I think I'm finally eligible this year, and if so I will gladly vote for you, Hap. Regardless, my fingers are crossed for you!
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

Already voted for you. Only a couple other competitive shooters on the ballot that I know of, seems the NRA wants celebrity types instead. If there are, let us know.
william

Post by william »

Happy to support you. Better luck than last time!
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

You have my vote. I am not diluting it with others this year.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

jmdavis wrote:You have my vote. I am not diluting it with others this year.
I have seen this alluded to a few times. What does this mean?
Will Hart

Post by Will Hart »

john bickar wrote:

John, others will explain it better than I, the ballot allows for the individual voter to vote for several people, or a slate. The seats are awarded to the top vote getters. So, voting for Hap, as well as for others, may negate your vote for Hap because you are increasing the vote count of the other candidates for whom you voted as well.

I will vote for Hap, and Hap only, this year. I have the pleasure of working with Hap at the US Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT and, knowing Hap as a shooter and coach, Hap is the type of man I want on the Board of Directors. His extensive commitment to and knowledge of the shooting sports (rifle and pistol) are what we need on the Board. (He has the largest shooting library I have ever seen!)

Will
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Will,
Thanks for your support and the fact that you did not mention that most of the books in my library have not yet been colored in.
Hap
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I voted for all BOD candidates with a competitive shooting background. Much as I respect the NRA as a civil rights and safety organization, they've been a total loss as a shooting organization lately.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I am also only voting for competitive shooters. I wrote in Brian Zins name as well...so they may just "Lose" my ballot.

Chip
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Will Hart wrote:
john bickar wrote:

John, others will explain it better than I, the ballot allows for the individual voter to vote for several people, or a slate. The seats are awarded to the top vote getters. So, voting for Hap, as well as for others, may negate your vote for Hap because you are increasing the vote count of the other candidates for whom you voted as well.

I will vote for Hap, and Hap only, this year. I have the pleasure of working with Hap at the US Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT and, knowing Hap as a shooter and coach, Hap is the type of man I want on the Board of Directors. His extensive commitment to and knowledge of the shooting sports (rifle and pistol) are what we need on the Board. (He has the largest shooting library I have ever seen!)

Will
If I understand correctly, the "diluting" argument only applies if you are on the vote/don't vote fence. (Which I am.)

If you do vote regularly, and you vote for Hap, one more vote for Hap.

If you don't vote regularly, but you vote this year just to vote for Hap, and you only vote for Hap, one more vote for Hap.

Finally, if you don't vote regularly, but you vote this year just to vote for Hap, but you also vote for other candidates, you may be effectively canceling out (or "diluting") your vote for Hap because those other folks got an extra vote that they normally wouldn't have by virtue of your casting a ballot.

Whew. And here I was told there would be no math.

Anyhow, I got my ballot this week and had a fun time filling out the form and playing with the pencils on the Group W bench.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

It would be great to get a list of the really competition friendly people running for BOD.

If we are to save our sport we need people on the board that see things our way.
Egon12

Post by Egon12 »

This same topic was discussed between myself and a fellow competitive shooter a few days ago. The way it was explained to me was that if you are eligible to vote you are given one vote. If you vote for the maximum slate of directors which is 23 or something like that your one vote is divided by those 23 candidates. In other words 1/23 rd of one vote for each candidate . If you only vote for 3 candidates then each candidate gets 1/3 of a vote. If you only vote for Hap Rocketto then he gets a full vote. So the suggestion that was given to me was to only vote for the candidates that you really want to vote for and avoid voting for the celebrities just to fill out the card it only dilutes your one and only vote.
corning

Post by corning »

Trooperjake wrote:It would be great to get a list of the really competition friendly people running for BOD.

If we are to save our sport we need people on the board that see things our way.
On the other forums, the following names have been floated as BOD candidates who are competitive shooters:

Hap Rocketto
Rich Kussman
Mark Humphreville