Calculating shipping cost

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Trooperjake

Calculating shipping cost

Post by Trooperjake »

I tried to get an estimate online for shipping rates with UPS.
I want to list a firearm and would like to have a middle zone for shipping cost.
The UPS site would only get me costs only if I give an exact name, address, etc.

Would any of you who have shipped a rifle to an FFL store give me some costs?
Also if you can tell me how you packaged the firearm and from what state to whatever state.

If you do not want to post it on this site, you can PM me.
Thanks in advance.
abinok

Re: Calculating shipping cost

Post by abinok »

I have shipped 8 target rifles in the last 2 years. Most in rigid plastic rifle cases, a couple in double cardboard boxes. All have shipped for between 20 and 35 dollars via UPS ground, with insurance.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I have been told by UPS that firearms must go at least 2nd day Airmail.
A rifle package is hard to hide, especially since it is going to an FFL dealer.

When I called, I got off the cuff estimates of $50-70.
Depending on zone.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

I have shipped my rifle from California (Zip Code 90638) to Killough Shooting Sports in Winters, TX (Zip Code 79567). As I recall it was around $55 for me to ship it via Ground Service. Value of $4000 declared for insurance purposes.

While I have no doubt that some UPS personnel may advise you that a firearm must ship via 2day service (as a previous poster mentioned) that to my knowledge is incorrect. Only handguns must be shipped in an expedited manner per Federal regulations.

Long guns may be shipped by Ground Service.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

If you ship via FFL to FFL, use the US Postal Service.

Ship the package via "Registered Mail" in a USPS Flat Rate Box. You can use to on-line calculator to get an exact shipping cost.

When shipping "Registered Mail" all open seams of the box have to be covered with brown paper security tape. The Post Office will know what to use and "might" offer you enough tape to seal your package. There are other security requirements the Post Office will gladly explain what to do. Once you do it the first time, it only gets easier.

Be sure to include copies of both FFL licenses in the box.

UPS, FEDEX,and DHL are not your friends when it comes to firearms.

Cheers,

Dave
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Dave
A rifle will not fit into a flat rate box. You
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Ooops, sorry, forgot there are other firearms besides pistols.

Anyway, my friend collects and sells antique rifles and uses the USPS "Registered Mail" exclusively.

Package the rifle in a cardboard tube that you can usually get for free from a carpet sales firm. Cut some wooden plugs to seal the ends.

I have known folks to go to the hardware store and buy PVC pipe and end caps.

My friend is "cheep" like me and if USPS were not the money saver he would be using UPS or FEDEX.

Cheers,

Dave
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

The tube idea is great,
The USPS won't take firearms unless you have an FFL.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Local fedex will ship long guns if it is going to a FFL or repair station like Walther. They always want a copy of the FFL. I think shipping averages 35 bucks or so for a standard sporting rifle. Match rifles tend to be heavier, and full insurance is naturally more, so those go near 50.00 pretty fast. Insurance seems to really kick up the price, and anything over 500 requires a signature. FEDEX has a cost estimator online. UPS, USPS, FEDEX are pretty similar in cost. I generally use FEDEX ground because they tend to be cheaper, and they are the most convenient for me.