Any smallbore shooters in the Rockville, Maryland area?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

trax

Any smallbore shooters in the Rockville, Maryland area?

Post by trax »

Hey guys,

As I mentioned in my other post, my wife and I recently moved to Rockville, MD from Chicago. I shot 3P smallbore in high school and college teams around 10 years ago, and have shot periodically since then. Our new place is a short 5-minute drive from an Gilbert Indoor Range. In other words, it's actually practical for me to practice on a regular basis--and hopefully participate in a match or two.

I did some research, and it sounds like there are a handful of local groups in the area: Are there any other local teams or matches that you guys recommend I check out?

Thanks guys!
Maxicooper

Re: Any smallbore shooters in the Rockville, Maryland area?

Post by Maxicooper »

Welcome to Maryland.

There are a few clubs club that have a 3P smalllbore and international air rifle, but most of them are junior clubs.
My son is in highschool and doing both disciplines competitively. We are members of a club in Howard county, with 100 yds outdoor and air rifle. There are a few of juniors and adult members that shoot 3P smalllbore, as well as air rifle.
They normally practice on Sunday and Tuesday (afternoon).
My son will practice at the range tomorrow (1/3). Please feel free to swing by to checkout. Please PM me if you need any info.
Here is the link to the club, Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club, http://arlingtonrpc.org
It is a very active club. Other than the 2 disciplines mentioned, they also have a lot of activities involve shotguns, handguns and hi-power rifle as well. The clubs hosts a 3P smalllbore matches, a smallbore prone match, and several of air airifle matches annually. The club affiliates with USAShooting, NRA and CMP.
trax

Post by trax »

Maxicooper, thanks for the invite. I'm busy today but I'll reach out soon.

I also agree about the lack of adult smallbore activity. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember adult smallbore being more of a "thing" several years ago. Who knows. Maybe that's the excuse I need to get into high power...
Maxicooper

Post by Maxicooper »

NRA national match for smallbore this year will be at Bristol, IN., in July. USAS National will be at Ft. Benning in late June.

There are several local smallbore "open" matches in the area throughout the year, hosted by local club such as Arlington RPC, Optimist Acorns, Queen Annes 4-H, Seitzland JRC, and Antietam JRC. Those should keep you busy all year, and they are within an hour or so drive from Rockville. :)
By the way, I'm not sure if you're also interested in international air rifle. Some of those matches will have both in the same event, 60 shots 3P smallbore and 60 shots international air rifle. The same as collegiate events.
I believe the closest date for open 3P smallbore match will be in April at NRA HQ range. It is an NRA conventional 3P smallbore indoor at 50 yrds.
mdgould

Post by mdgould »

Don't know about Rockville specifically, but there are some good smallbore options in the area. The April match at the NRA range has already been mentioned, there are a few regionals (3P & prone) out at FFR&G, and there are prone matches up in PA (New Freedom, Wilkes Barre, Palmyra, etc). There're also some 3P and air out west (Cumberland, I think). Shoot me a pm and I can get you contact info for the matches I shot.

Take care, Mark