Is my old SKB rifle case legal under TSA checked bag rules?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

trax

Is my old SKB rifle case legal under TSA checked bag rules?

Post by trax »

Hi guys,

My wife and I recently relocated to Maryland, and I'm interested in transporting my Anschutz 1907 and my 3P shooting equipment over to our new place from my parents house in Chicago.

My Anschutz is in a hard-sided SKB case from the late 90s. It's a "pre-TSA" model that has buckle style latches. In other words, it doesn't have the TSA-approved locks or the steel padlock loops that the newer version has. The only way to "lock" it is with the simple stamped-steel key that works on all SKB latches.

Is there a way that I can legally secure it to the TSA's satisfaction as checked baggage? Or do I need to just get a new case?

Thanks!
bdutton

Re: Is my old SKB rifle case legal under TSA checked bag rul

Post by bdutton »

trax wrote:Hi guys,

My wife and I recently relocated to Maryland, and I'm interested in transporting my Anschutz 1907 and my 3P shooting equipment over to our new place from my parents house in Chicago.

My Anschutz is in a hard-sided SKB case from the late 90s. It's a "pre-TSA" model that has buckle style latches. In other words, it doesn't have the TSA-approved locks or the steel padlock loops that the newer version has. The only way to "lock" it is with the simple stamped-steel key that works on all SKB latches.

Is there a way that I can legally secure it to the TSA's satisfaction as checked baggage? Or do I need to just get a new case?

Thanks!
I save the exact same case but lost the keys for the built in locks. As long as the locks are NOT the tsa approved locks you should be fine.
kameljock

Post by kameljock »

Good luck with dealing with TSA. It could depend on who is the agent of the moment. You would be wise to call of visit them and have the date and name of the person who blessed it.
be in the moment
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

As bdutton says, no TSA locks on firearms. You have to be the only person able to open the case. The case has to be rigid enough that if unlatched (not unlocked) they can't reach in and touch the guns.

Not an Olympic shooter, but some good info here. http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/ The same laws apply to all of us.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey