SCATT trainer - your opinion?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Giddaymate

SCATT trainer - your opinion?

Post by Giddaymate »

Hi
Is the Scatt trainer a good tool for training? I shoot 3 positions with a 22LR and looking
for ways to improve.

Can these be bought used maybe?

Thanks
bdutton

Re: SCATT trainer - your opinion?

Post by bdutton »

Giddaymate wrote:Hi
Is the Scatt trainer a good tool for training? I shoot 3 positions with a 22LR and looking
for ways to improve.

Can these be bought used maybe?

Thanks
Yes... the scatt is a great tool but requires some knowledge on how to interpret the graphs and numbers.

Watch the buy, sell, trade threads for deals. There is usually a used USB version popping up every few weeks. There may be one available there still. A decent used one should go for $850-950.
Giddaymate

Post by Giddaymate »

Hmm Ok. How do you learn to read te Scatt - I mean is it a practical tool for individual or do you need a professor to help you use it?

Again, thanks
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Here is a link to a topic in this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50054

It has a lot of links to outside resources.

The scatt can be used as instant feedback and/or for deep dive data interpretation. Its fun for the former, and very valuable for the latter.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Thanks for that link I hadn't seen that video before. It drove a couple of things home for me.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Giddaymate

Post by Giddaymate »

Thanks for the input.

Will now learn a bit more about the system and see if its worth the money and time invested. Just dont want another useless toy :)
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Giddaymate wrote:Thanks for the input.

Will now learn a bit more about the system and see if its worth the money and time invested. Just dont want another useless toy :)
Food for your thought along these lines:

I bought a Rika many years ago and got very familiar with it. Two things of note occurred:

1 - Via my personal use of the system, I became much more accutely aware of what I was seeing in my dry fire. I moved to a dry fire level of observation that kind of made the Rika use unnecessary. I was actually able to see all the nuances of the shot before comparing them to the Rika trace. At this point I considered the only advantage of the system, was in its ability to aggregate shots. The individual shots were adequately covered by my newfound level of observation.

2 - One day I started noticing a decline in my shot progression. My scores took a dip and I found that my observation still matched what was being shown by the Rika. If fact, both live fire and Rika scores tracked nearly exactly. I fought for a couple weeks to try to regain what I had lost and even tried to find out what was wrong and how to correct it. The Rika didn't seem to tell me a corrective action. It just seemed to verify the anomoly I was already observing. The eventual solution was through my notes. I was looking back through my notebook, when I discovered I had made a change to the shape of my grip that corresponded with the decline in performance. I changed the grip back and my performance went back to its previous level. In this case the Rika did nothing for me, but my notes were the real help.

The use of an electronic trainer can be of great value, especially initially. But if you can really see what is happening during your process with a keen observation, it may not seem as valuable.
Ryan Anderson

Post by Ryan Anderson »

Scatt can be an excellent tool. I actually made a podcast about it with the Ohio State University rifle coach, and we had a fairly in depth discussion on the pros and cons and how to get the most out of it. Check it out if you get the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1zCMycS40
Check out my free shooting podcast available on youtube and also through iTunes or the Android "podomatic" app! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgT7XX ... hg630OLsfQ