Unusual storage problem

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Earlyriser

Unusual storage problem

Post by Earlyriser »

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I must store my competition handguns in my SUV between trips to the range. I will welcome any suggestions for safe storage in a north-east climate
crankythunder

Re: Unusual storage problem

Post by crankythunder »

I recommend using ezzox after every session.

I have to frequently store my firearms in the case the day of competition and often the temperature is below zero.

After every use, I clean them with ezzox and wipe them down with it as a preservative.

Been doing this for almost a decade of indoor winter competitions and have not had any problem with rust or corrosion.

There are people that will say that there are better products to prevent corrosion out there and maybe there are. I have had very good performance.

Sincerely,
Cranky
rbs

Post by rbs »

I agree with the EZZOX recommendation. I have found it works the best at keeping rust off of my waterfowl guns. I had used Break Free, but EZZOX is better.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I agree with the use of EZZOX,
But along with that I would get a Pelican Pistol case just for the firearms, it has a great moisture seal,
And store in the rear compartment.
An Army Ammo can would be good for the Ammo.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Problem with seals is that they also trap damp in, something to consider.
Image Image
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Not if you pack and unpack indoors.
If weather is damp or raining, don't put pistols in the case till they have been cleaned.
I keep a can of WD40 to spray in down till I'm indoors.
Can't hurt to put a couple of the moisture crystals inside the case.
Never been a problem when going to the Nationals, our longest match.
Sometimes 11 days.
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

Get a sealable plastic tub, Tupperware or Rubbermaid, and a tub of disposable RV dehumidifier desiccant. Haul everything to and from the range in the tub, clean the pistols with EEZOX after use, and put back in the tub. The desiccant will absorb the bulk of moisture from the atmosphere inside the tub.

If you get silica gel based desiccant, you can reactivate it by baking it in an oven at low temperature once it gets saturated with water.

Use the smallest plastic tub that will store your pistols, and the biggest tub of desiccant that will fit.

Jimro