Importing Grips from the EU to the USA

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

fc60

Importing Grips from the EU to the USA

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find documentation that says whether it is or is not legal for me in the USA to purchase a set of pistol grips from a seller in the EU.

There are plenty of items on eGun that "tickle my fancy" and the sellers are willing to do business once it is determined if it is legal.

Hopefully, someone on the Forum can help me/us out.

With kind regards,

David
OTD

Re: Importing Grips from the EU to the USA

Post by OTD »

US laws is not valid in Europe. Regardless what documents you will provide, it’s not valid in Europe. The selling party is only responsible to obey the export laws of his country. When US customs is catching something that is legal for him to export from his country, but is illegal for you to import into your country, it’s going to be your problem, not his.

All European countries have export restrictions on firearms, significant parts of firearms, suppressors, nigh vision and radioactive material. What’s considered to be a significant part of a firearm can be found in the gun laws of the country. Mostly it’s frames, receivers, barrels, cylinders and bolts.

Grips are not considered to be significant parts. It’s accessories. Your European partner should know this if he is shipping internationally. When he does not and wants to delegate his problem to you, it is recommended to look for somebody else.

As for the site you mentioned. It’s an expensive place. Most target grips sold on this site can be had directly form the manufacturers, tax free when the item leaves the EU zone. Taht's 20% off MRSP. You don't have this option in a privat sale.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

fc60 wrote: There are plenty of items on eGun that "tickle my fancy" and the sellers are willing to do business once it is determined if it is legal.
It is legal for you to order and receive grips in the US from abroad. Is it legal for the seller to export grips from their home country? Why would you care? It is their problem to figure out.
renzo

Post by renzo »

I recently bought a set of grips from Karl Nill in Germany, and it wasn't easy, I had to fill a "last customer" form and they had to process it thru german authorities, so evidently wooden grips are considered "part of a firearm" at least in germany.

I do advise you to deal with the manufacturer, as you've been told before, exporting the grips is their problem so they are the ones know how to do it.
mld

Post by mld »

I've purchased several grips from Nill Grips and Rink Grips in Germany and imported them into Canada. No problems whatsoever.

The "end user statement" is easy to fill out, scan and email back to the dealer.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Call 'em wood carvings!
spektr

Post by spektr »

OH LORD, Please don't call them wood carvings, that will get you into the middle of CITES compliance, and that makes ITAR look easy.

Seriously, look up the US MUNITIONS LIST, ITAR compliance. The list of regulated items for export are listed there. As a recipient of a firearm item, it is up to the EXPORTER to show regulatory compliance with distribution rules. As a recipient, you are virtually non-regulated. Since I don't see hand grips on any of the items covered by ITAR export compliance, and since it is an international agreement, OId suspect there is no issue. But its a quick read since the exceptions paragraph is fairly short
fc60

Post by fc60 »

THREE CHEERS FOR SPEKTR!!!

I located the mile long document and found the section that says

"It
also excludes accessories and attachments
(e.g., belts, slings, after market rubber grips,
cleaning kits) for firearms that do not en-
hance the usefulness, effectiveness, or capa-
bilities of the firearm, components and
parts."

Cheers,

Dave
Leon

Post by Leon »

There is no restriction on exporting wooden grips out of Germany.

As one who has done numerous purchases of these out of Germany ( egun purchase about 6 weeks ago, Ring grip 4 weeks ago) I can attest to this.

Magazines spare parts etc are also problem. Frames, barrels more so, but I have discovered egun sellers who have "flexible" attitudes to these....

As a matter of interest Dave, what grip are you after? If it's for your FAS 603, look at the very fine grips made my Rink for them...