Flying with rifle case

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Abi

Flying with rifle case

Post by Abi »

I have a very particular question. I would like to hear from people who have flown UNITED airlines with a PELICAN (not 1700 case, but larger). Did you pay the oversize fee (greater than 62 linear inches- not weight)?

Only looking at United airlines, thanks!

Abi
jhmartin

Re: Flying with rifle case

Post by jhmartin »

Have flown on United with Pelican 1750 & Storm iM3200 cases.
Have not paid the charge as they were considered "Sporting Items".
Out of ABQ, CSPR, ATL, Memphis.

Most of the collegiate teams fly iM3200 sized cases and have no issues & that's with 2 guns in them.

I also have an iM3100 case (probably for the same reason you are worried about), but you have to take the actions out of the stocks .... you can fit 2 in one of those too if you are creative.
Years ago Nebraska used to travel w the 3100s with the two guns.

Most airlines won't charge you ... worst case flash your USA Shooting membership card .. tell them you are flying to a major maych. (assuming you are worried about WAG)
Abi

Post by Abi »

Yes, this is exactly my concern and your answers are very helpful ;)

I've also heard both for/against on taking the actions out of the stocks for travel.

I've also heard of people paying the overage fee, but I'm wondering if it was for weight instead...

The "sporting equipment" cause seems to work better with a whole team in uniforms...
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I don't think you'll have an issue on the size ... if you are only flying an airgun, weight should be no problem as well ... it's when you start fitting 2 guns in where it gets dicey, and they do make you pay for it then.
Yeah .. the rifle teams fly a 50 lb rifle case, a 50 lb gearbag and huge ol' backpack (as carry ons). Poor gals gotta leave the hair dryers at home!
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

While not United airlines, I've flown with the Pelican big case (1750?) with an M1 Garand and an AR-15 inside. 49.5 pounds. No overage charges even mentioned.
Last edited by nglitz on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

I've only flown Southwest, but I've had my iM3200 up at 49.5 lbs. as well, and never had an issue. Only issue I ever had was when I left my locks in my gear bag and checked it in first!
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I have only ever heard of one account of someone being charged oversize for a rifle case. Going from memory it was on AA or US. It was the entire Ole Miss rifle team and ended up paying a few thousand dollars for all the guns. This is literally the only problem I've ever heard. Usually they are so focused on you having a rifle that they are focused all on that.
Matt