Online matches via electronic trainer

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

swat

Online matches via electronic trainer

Post by swat »

Hi folks

Does anyone know of a website that runs competitions online, allowing you to shoot matches on an honesty basis, by uploading scatt/noptel traces of your match? Something similar to Monthly Virtual Matches for the Orion scoring system, but that covers other systems and file formats. I can't seem to find anything out there.

If there isn't anything out there already, would there be any interest something up?

Cheers
Steve.
Pheyden

Re: Online matches via electronic trainer

Post by Pheyden »

Check out the 10M Pistol Competition League on Facebook. This may be something that works for you. Its new, I started it 3 weeks ago.
swat

Post by swat »

That looks like a good idea. To make it comprehensive, it would need to add rifle and non-10M events. More specifically though I was thinking about a site for people who train on electronic trainers, partly because it's more informative and partly because there are a lot of people out there who can't get to the range often enough to shoot regular live competitions.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

If your using scatt to shoot matches your doing it wrong. Use scatt to make yourself a better shooter
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

SCATT will teach you only that much. Once you learned what to do, that is it. Very boring after that.

Use it as dry fire practice is much more practical. Apply what you learn from the tracing, but use it as a dry fire device is perfectly sensible. Give it a ton of dry fire practice.

Worst of all is to leave it collecting dust !
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Last night shooting on both Scatt and paper at the same time, my daughter shot an easy100 on paper. Scatt called it a 95, with a vertical group. That's typical of scat. Bad shots go the same place on both, but good shots are not all centered on scatt. I suspect the NEW scatt is far better for the middle staying as the middle. Scatt showed 7/10 had great hold, 9/10 great trigger and 10/10 great follow through, so scatt has a lot of value.

I could see SCATT contests comparing 10A 10A5 length etc
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Although you are unlikely to get a perfect match, have you tried tuning the F coefficient to suit the shooter/gun/ammunition combination?

You are obviously using Scatt the way it is intended; obtaining empirical data on the elements, not just shooting for score.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Dave, We have decreased F in the past, it does make the group smaller to match the paper or /Etarget. BUT watching my oldest, who is one of those sick shooters who can shoot 4teens standing air most days, I have seen the groupcenter make large sudden moves on scat with no change on paper. I don't disregard the move, it has to be telling us something, but it ruins shooting for score. It is possible to change F after shooting, interesting to do. I just have experience with one scat and just in rifle.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

redschietti wrote:I have seen the groupcenter make large sudden moves on scat with no change on paper.
The USB version will do that - you can put the rifle in a rest and watch the POA drift around. I used to practice with the target in the conservatory and the changes in POA when the sun came out were substantial.

The MX-2 is VERY much better and I would be happy to do a remote match against someone using it. Training on your own doesn't really get the heart pumping in the same way that a competition does. I've thought about somehow using SKYPE to run run regular matches against a similarly equipped friend who is 200 miles away but it needs some wrinkles worked out.

K.
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Hello SWAT. The PCL is less than a year old. I run it as a "one-man-band" and as you might imagine it does takes some time. Together with several of the registered competitors a set of regulations and rukes has been developed that allows shooter of all capabilities to compete. Yes, we would allow screen shots of a SCATT system (a 10 shot composite) to be submitted. It has not happened yet so I have no idea if there are any pitfalls to this idea.

I also shoot 10M air rifle, 50M carbine and 25M Precision Pistol, so I have a pretty full schedule when you add my daily training sessions and my "honeydew" list from the better half. I would welcome a similar competition for air rifle, and would probably participate, but I will leave that project for someone else to do.

You are most welcome at PCL, AND i look forward to receiving you rgistration details. Look for the Registration thread on the 10M Pistol Competition League.

Regards

Paul Vanderheijden
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

KennyB wrote:The MX-2 is VERY much better and I would be happy to do a remote match against someone using it.
I've still had groups wandering (at 50m live) with the MX-02. It's good, but far from perfect. It's not subtle either - halfway through the session it'll just start grouping in the 6-ring, not slowly drifting off such that you could click off and keep it in(1). There's the temptation when using an MX-02 for live-fire to compare the real score against the SCATT score, which of course you can't do. It's remains useful only for the usual analysis of elements of shooting - pace; rate of fire; target approach; x-y analysis of approach/hold/movement; etc.

It would be nice simply for comparison of group size/shape/etc if the zero would remain in the middle and not drift off to start a new group in the 6-ring halfway through your shoot, but hey-ho, and it does helpfully put paid to any notion of comparing real/SCATT scores!

1) Presumably the sensor must be moving, but blow me if it isn't properly tightened, taped, cable taped to prevent tugging, etc!