PELLET CHOICE USING RWS R 10 MATCH

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

darticus

PELLET CHOICE USING RWS R 10 MATCH

Post by darticus »

Are these considered a good choice for pellets for pistol as I have been away from shooting with eye issues. Now getting back and looking for whats new. I have been using up my old stash of RWS R 10 MATCH PELLETS .45g 7.0gr and wondered what else is out there. Can anyone advise on new pellets available that may be better shooting target quality. Thanks Ron
Rover

Re: PELLET CHOICE USING RWS R 10 MATCH

Post by Rover »

You may as well pack up and go home if another competitor shows up with JSB "Green" pistol match pellets.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote:You may as well pack up and go home if another competitor shows up with JSB "Green" pistol match pellets.
Roughly translated this means that any pellet from a decent brand will hold the x ring of an air pistol target, or at least the ten ring.
RWS basics are a good choice too besides those JSB's.
There's no need to worry about what pellets you use until you hit the 565-570 mark. And even then, it's more for peace of mind than anything else.

Come on Rover, I thought that your latest acquisition would put a dent in your sarcasm... ;)
yana

Post by yana »

Try=know
My Tau 7's dont like R10. None of them. They all prefer JSB match.
LG300 prefers R10
CG90 preferred JSB
Tau mk200 prefers old batch R10
Tau mk300 prefers a roundnose, JSB exact..

I've heard about some german pellet here, starts with a V I thought..
And the chinese pellets are also very good (Qing Juang or something like that).
Very well made and the ónly pellet my Tau mk8 likes

Imo, pellet testing is always a must. Not all pellets hold the 10 ring..Certainly not with AR or SB cards. If yr not a topscorer, than you dont need the bést grouping, but I would certainly advise a góód grouping one. (for instance, 5 shots=1 hole of 2 pellets).
I never understood people buying topgrade stuff and than shooting cheapo garbage in it. Than you might as well compete with a cheapo gun as well to go with it.
Besides that, trusting yr gear is VERY important. Knówing that its yóu not the gun.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Considering RMCA's criticism, I guess I'll have to retract my earlier post.

Unless you're using RWS Basic, you should be hanging your head for your shameless and wanton expenditure.

Come on, do a search! This is one of the most used and abused topics to be found, but I'll give you a tip; It doesn't matter what BRAND or size you buy, it is a specific lot from ANY brand that will give you the best accuracy. Don't go choosing the pellet based on the test target that came with the gun.

Here's a thread you may enjoy (especially j-teams post):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47150&p=223979&hili ... cy#p223979
darticus

Post by darticus »

How do you know what was the test fire PELLET the gun used when bought? It says
F. NR 728 762
Vo: check
S: check
Munition 4,500
Pruter B

I thought holding the 10 ring was the shooter. Maybe I should try the JSB "Green" pistol match pellets. Are the RWS R 10 MATCH junk? Thanks Ron
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why would you even CARE what pellet the factory used; you can't buy them and I just told you not to.

I guess you didn't do a search or you would have found this post by me:

"To simplify this whole pellet business:

1) It doesn't matter.

2) If it did matter, only the lot # of the pellets matters; not size, not weight, not brand.

3) The accuracy of the lot can only be determined by testing. But then, it doesn't matter."
darticus

Post by darticus »

Rover wrote:Why would you even CARE what pellet the factory used; you can't buy them and I just told you not to.

I guess you didn't do a search or you would have found this post by me:

"To simplify this whole pellet business:

1) It doesn't matter.

2) If it did matter, only the lot # of the pellets matters; not size, not weight, not brand.

3) The accuracy of the lot can only be determined by testing. But then, it doesn't matter."
Thanks but your attitude sucks and at my age I don't need it! People like you is one reason I haven't been back to this site in years. I asked what pellet was used for testing my gun because someone mentioned that they new what was used in their gun and I was just interested. So I put the info up. I'm gone!
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

darticus wrote:Are these considered a good choice for pellets for pistol as I have been away from shooting with eye issues. Now getting back and looking for whats new. I have been using up my old stash of RWS R 10 MATCH PELLETS .45g 7.0gr and wondered what else is out there. Can anyone advise on new pellets available that may be better shooting target quality. Thanks Ron
Darticus;

When I started AP I got into the whole pellet testing.
I went back to the pellets you have and not looked back.
They are not cheap, not expensive, just right for me and my LP1.

YMMV
Welcome back to AP

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
darticus

Post by darticus »

C. Perkins wrote:
darticus wrote:Are these considered a good choice for pellets for pistol as I have been away from shooting with eye issues. Now getting back and looking for whats new. I have been using up my old stash of RWS R 10 MATCH PELLETS .45g 7.0gr and wondered what else is out there. Can anyone advise on new pellets available that may be better shooting target quality. Thanks Ron
Darticus;

When I started AP I got into the whole pellet testing.
I went back to the pellets you have and not looked back.
They are not cheap, not expensive, just right for me and my LP1.

YMMV
Welcome back to AP

Clarence
Thanks for your input. Just getting back and at 66 steady and consistent is my goal. I'll stick to the RWS R MATCH 10 until I hear of a better deal in quality. Ron
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've succeeded in annoying another cranky old fart. My work here is done.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Another excellent pellet to consider is H&N's Finale Match pistol pellets. However, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the very best pellets available unless you're competing in national or international championships. Virtually all of the economy pellets (some are culls of higher grade pellets) offered by the major European manufacturers are capable of shooting 10's all day long when clamped on a vice. If you should insist, try all the pellets you can get your hands on to see which is the best for your particular pistol and stick with the same lot number of pellets.
william

Post by william »

"Can anyone advise on new pellets available that may be better shooting target quality. Thanks Ron"

You've put your finger on the key point. The key is to shoot new pellets. I've found it impossible to get used ones back into shape to re-use.

Seriously, until my hold area is anywhere near as small as what ANY quality pellet can achieve I wouldn't dream of paying what R10s cost.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

RWS Hobby's are almost half the price of R10's, and unless you're shooting 10.9's all day, you won't see any difference in your score. They don't work too well in some very low powered pistols though. ;)
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thanks all for your input. I'm shooting R 10s as I have 10 tins sitting. When their done who knows. Thanks Ron
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

R-10 Match pellets are too expensive ?
Really ?

$110.-$120. per sleeve(5000 pellets).

ROTFLMAO

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Andre

Post by Andre »

Go buy a Black and Decker "Workmate" vise, weigh it down to the floor and clamp your gun in it. Set up a pellet trap 30-40 feet away, and have at it.

Shoot a lot. That's all there is to it, get some R10's, JSB, Quang yang's, etc. Shoot till you find a brand you like; try some different head sizes of the brand your gun likes and find out what shoots best.

Rover has a point, you can grab a handful of top brand pellets and probably not see much of a score difference. But do you want a pellet that's decent or the best? To each his own. A friend said something to me once, you can shoot a 3p with Remington golden bullets. But why? It's pointless!
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Helping new shooters find their way in the sport is what makes this forum great.

There is (actually) a psychological component at work, here. New shooters approach each decision (pellet choice, trigger control, grip choice, etc.) from the view that everything is new, no one else has ever seen, "X," and they must learn,... We find that new shooters are actually surprised when they begin to understand that experience/knowledge exists, outside themselves. A psychological step toward proficiency that we feel should be encouraged, in any way possible.
yana

Post by yana »

jsb has a new s100 target line btw
might be worth a try
I thing the pellet I meant earlier with a V is Voere?
Geco is also worth to give a try. they're said to be on par with rws hobbys
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

C. Perkins wrote:R-10 Match pellets are too expensive ?
Really ?

$110.-$120. per sleeve(5000 pellets).

ROTFLMAO

Clarence
Where I live I can buy a sleeve of Hobby's delivered for £40. A sleeve of R10's delivered is £70. I shoot around 3,000 pellets a month. I use both, depending on how rich I'm feeling at the time. I do prefer the R10's, but TBH, as far as I can tell, the way that I shoot there really is no noticeable difference in my score between them. If I were shooting 10's all day, then perhaps I could tell the difference? Who knows?
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch