What's This For?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Wynne G Oldman

What's This For?

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

There is a threaded hole in the end plug of my Baikal MP-46M. Does anyone know what it's for?
Attachments
MP-46M hole.jpg
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
ric1911a1

Re: What's This For?

Post by ric1911a1 »

I just looked, and mine also has one. Never noticed it before...............
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:There is a threaded hole in the end plug of my Baikal MP-46M. Does anyone know what it's for?
The threaded hole in the end plug is for attaching weights on the pistol, but the Baikal is already front heavy...
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

kevinweiho wrote:
Wynne G Oldman wrote:There is a threaded hole in the end plug of my Baikal MP-46M. Does anyone know what it's for?
The threaded hole in the end plug is for attaching weights on the pistol, but the Baikal is already front heavy...
Thanks for the reply. I had considered this as a possibility, but I've never seen any for sale, or fitted to a MP-46M, and as you said, it is already front heavy, so why would you want to.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

You can also thread a bolt in there to help you pull it out if you need to change the seal. Changed my first seal after 5500 pellets.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

nglitz wrote:You can also thread a bolt in there to help you pull it out if you need to change the seal. Changed my first seal after 5500 pellets.
I think that I've shot roughly 88,000 pellets through mine so far, and I bought it second hand. In that time it's had 1 x plunger seal, 2 x valve springs, 1 x blocking lever spring and 1 x set of breech seals. The original valve seal is still good, but I'm not looking forward to replacing that one when it finally wears out.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Wynne, I just found the old airgun magazine that confirms that the threaded hole is for adding weights. (There are no pictures of the weights in the magazine) Many have mentioned that the weight of the standard Baikal 46 is evenly distributed vs. the front heavy 46M version, that is why I assume the weights were available to optimize the overall balance of the pistol.

Wow, 88,000 pellets down your Izzy! You must really enjoy the pistol, I'm kinda curious, how long did it take you to shoot that staggering amount of pellets?
Attachments
IMG_0784.jpg
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

kevinweiho wrote:Wynne, I just found the old airgun magazine that confirms that the threaded hole is for adding weights. (There are no pictures of the weights in the magazine) Many have mentioned that the weight of the standard Baikal 46 is evenly distributed vs. the front heavy 46M version, that is why I assume the weights were available to optimize the overall balance of the pistol.

Wow, 88,000 pellets down your Izzy! You must really enjoy the pistol, I'm kinda curious, how long did it take you to shoot that staggering amount of pellets?
What a great find. Thanks for clearing that up. I've had my Izzy for around 2 years now. Actually, I miscalculated. It's roughly 74,000 pellets.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch