Pumping up these STEYR tanks HELP!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

darticus

Pumping up these STEYR tanks HELP!

Post by darticus »

I have my Hill 2128 Pump still but I'm getting no younger. Is there an easier way to fill the tanks for the LP-10. Thanks Ron
David Levene

Re: Pumping up these STEYR tanks HELP!

Post by David Levene »

Scuba tank with either a 232bar Din valve or a K-valve and a 232bar Din yoke adaptor.

Depending on the size of tank and amount you shoot you will just need to get your tank filled at a dive shop every now and then.

I have a 15 litre tank and only shot 40 shots a week on average. My tank seems to last 2-3 years between fills.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

darticus wrote:I have my Hill 2128 Pump still but I'm getting no younger. Is there an easier way to fill the tanks for the LP-10. Thanks Ron
Ron, filling up the cylinder for a PCP pistol is very easy with a Hill or FX pump. The trick is to use your upper body weight for the down stroke, letting the pump rest for a while when it gets warm.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Keep pumping; the exercise is good for exercising your shooting arm. It also will retard your inevitable downward slide into the depths of geezerhood.
darticus

Post by darticus »

kevinweiho wrote:
darticus wrote:I have my Hill 2128 Pump still but I'm getting no younger. Is there an easier way to fill the tanks for the LP-10. Thanks Ron
Ron, filling up the cylinder for a PCP pistol is very easy with a Hill or FX pump. The trick is to use your upper body weight for the down stroke, letting the pump rest for a while when it gets warm.
Excellent, we got this going down but now I need something to get me up. Down is cool! I need a tank (Oxygen tank) My wife pulls me up from the back, Very interesting LOL.
Last edited by darticus on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darticus

Post by darticus »

[quote="David Levene"]Scuba tank with either a 232bar Din valve or a K-valve and a 232bar Din yoke adaptor.

Depending on the size of tank and amount you shoot you will just need to get your tank filled at a dive shop every now and then.

I have a 15 litre tank and only shot 40 shots a week on average. My tank seems to last 2-3 years between fills.[/

Every time I investigate a tank I never can find what I need but get confused and quit looking. Where can I get a small tank and the pieces to make it work. Whats the smallest tank I can get somewhere? Locally if I find one how do I know if it has what I need? In new jersey I can't get it filled unless I have a divers license so one tank has to last a while. If I was to find a full small tank on Craigslist will any tank work we these parts you mention (Scuba tank with either a 232bar Din valve or a K-valve and a 232bar Din yoke adapter).
I do have an oxygen tank can this be used? Thanks Ron
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I understand that most tanks in the US are fitted with K-valves, in which case you would just need the yoke adaptor (approximately half way down this page from Pilkguns.

That would certainly get you going.

You might also want to read this article.

Hope this helps.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think the smallest tank you'd want is an 80cf. Check Craigslist for a used one ($50?). It should be full when you buy it.

Find another dive shop, they don't care if you have a dive card. Tell them you want the air for a paint ball gun.

These tank are supposed to be inspected and "hydro'd" regularly, but again, the shop probably won't care.
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thanks all will check it out. Will a paint ball shop be able to set me up with a tank and all needed or won't it fit? Thanks again Ron
renzo

Post by renzo »

I don't know if what we'd done is available to you: in our club we founda that medical and hospital suppliers carry a stock of Nitrogen (N2) gas. They receive big bottles of 10 1/2 cubic meters capacity (a tube @ 20 cm - 8 inches - diameter by 140 cm - 55 inches - of height, charged at 200 Bar.

They use those high pressure cilynders to fill smaller tanks at much lower pressure (40-50 Bar) for IDK what hospital uses.

So we reach a deal: we rent one of those big bottles at @ 2 dollars a month and they gave us them fully loaded, we load our weapons until pressure has drop to the point we can't load our cylinders to more than 150 Bar (considering there's no physical effort involved, it's no fuss to load after or before each practice) and then we return the big tank, they measure how much we used and bill us accordingly, but it's never more than a few dollars.

Obviously, this is a club arrangement, and maybe not practical at all at an individual level.

On the plus side - first - N2 is ABSOLUTELY DRY (no possible corrosion) and second, tha size and thread of the valves used in N2 (very different due to engineering rules to those or compressed air and pure oxygen) is exactly the one that uses the Steyr LP-10 PCP cylinder, and third, N2 is COMPLETELY INERT INCASE OF FIRE. For other weapons (FWB, Anschutz, Morini) we had to have made brass adaptors, they're cheap and any machinist worth his salt can do them.

Hope it's useful.!!!!
darticus

Post by darticus »

renzo wrote:I don't know if what we'd done is available to you: in our club we founda that medical and hospital suppliers carry a stock of Nitrogen (N2) gas. They receive big bottles of 10 1/2 cubic meters capacity (a tube @ 20 cm - 8 inches - diameter by 140 cm - 55 inches - of height, charged at 200 Bar.

They use those high pressure cilynders to fill smaller tanks at much lower pressure (40-50 Bar) for IDK what hospital uses.

So we reach a deal: we rent one of those big bottles at @ 2 dollars a month and they gave us them fully loaded, we load our weapons until pressure has drop to the point we can't load our cylinders to more than 150 Bar (considering there's no physical effort involved, it's no fuss to load after or before each practice) and then we return the big tank, they measure how much we used and bill us accordingly, but it's never more than a few dollars.

Obviously, this is a club arrangement, and maybe not practical at all at an individual level.

On the plus side - first - N2 is ABSOLUTELY DRY (no possible corrosion) and second, tha size and thread of the valves used in N2 (very different due to engineering rules to those or compressed air and pure oxygen) is exactly the one that uses the Steyr LP-10 PCP cylinder, and third, N2 is COMPLETELY INERT INCASE OF FIRE. For other weapons (FWB, Anschutz, Morini) we had to have made brass adaptors, they're cheap and any machinist worth his salt can do them.

Hope it's useful.!!!!
Thanks thats a great help to keep in mind. I have an oxygen tank thats full but no nitrogen. I will ask locally. So are you saying I can buy or rent an nitrogen tank and I can fill my cylinders from it no problem?
I just call a tank rental place. They say the nitrogen tanks are filled to 2000 pounds. Does this equate to 200 bars? Ron
Rover

Post by Rover »

No, 200bar is equivalent to 3,000psi. At that rate you won't be blowing anything up, but neither will you get a complete fill.
renzo

Post by renzo »

darticus wrote: Thanks thats a great help to keep in mind. I have an oxygen tank thats full but no nitrogen. I will ask locally. So are you saying I can buy or rent an nitrogen tank and I can fill my cylinders from it no problem?
I just call a tank rental place. They say the nitrogen tanks are filled to 2000 pounds. Does this equate to 200 bars? Ron
Remember there's 14.22 foot pounds to the Bar, so your 2000 fp equals 140 bar.

For physics reason I was taught but can't remember, you'll loose 10 percent of the main pressure in the act of loading your weapon 's cylinder, so you'll be starting with @ 125 bar at best.

But - on the other hand - my Steyr LP 10 keeps its shots true to default velocity well under 100 bar (just until nearly 80 bar) and with that you'll have at least 60 shots, and you can refill everytime you feel like with only some threading.

Personally - even knowing it makes no real difference - just for the sake of it, I take one cylinder (not always the same), fill it with whatever the maximum pressure I can get from the main tank (remember that even when it's factory loaded to 200 Bar you can put only 180 Bar into your cylinder, due to those forgotten physical reasons I mentioned before) and then I top it to 200 Bar with my Hill pump, and keep it spared just for a match.

It gives me peace of mind, though I KNOW have enough N2 with 180 bar to fully use the 15 minutes of practice shots, take the complete AP60 course, qualify to and enter the OF's (if lucky), practice again and reach the 20th. final shot with pressure to spare................................... and any 8 will be my fault entirely!!!!

Good luck
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

darticus wrote:
David Levene wrote: In new jersey I can't get it filled unless I have a divers license so one tank has to last a while. If I was to find a full small tank on Craigslist will any tank work we these parts you mention (Scuba tank with either a 232bar Din valve or a K-valve and a 232bar Din yoke adapter).
I'm in NJ and the shops I've filled at have never asked for anything other than the inspection sticker & stamps on the tank. That is, no diver's license needed.

The oxygen tank can't be filled at a dive shop. Fittings can be changed to match, but that won't help. The cheapest way to go is to buy a used dive tank at a dive shop. It will be inspected and certified and filled. You'll likely have a choice of K-valve or 200 DIN valve. Fills in my area (Trenton area) are $10 and annual borescope inspections are $20. K to DIN adapter prices vary from $25 to $150 for the identical valves. Look on E-bay. A search like "SCUBA DIN" should bring up a variety.

I support a league of 6 or 7 juniors shooting two or three times a week and fill tanks maybe twice a year.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
darticus

Post by darticus »

nglitz wrote:
darticus wrote:
David Levene wrote: In new jersey I can't get it filled unless I have a divers license so one tank has to last a while. If I was to find a full small tank on Craigslist will any tank work we these parts you mention (Scuba tank with either a 232bar Din valve or a K-valve and a 232bar Din yoke adapter).
I'm in NJ and the shops I've filled at have never asked for anything other than the inspection sticker & stamps on the tank. That is, no diver's license needed.

The oxygen tank can't be filled at a dive shop. Fittings can be changed to match, but that won't help. The cheapest way to go is to buy a used dive tank at a dive shop. It will be inspected and certified and filled. You'll likely have a choice of K-valve or 200 DIN valve. Fills in my area (Trenton area) are $10 and annual borescope inspections are $20. K to DIN adapter prices vary from $25 to $150 for the identical valves. Look on E-bay. A search like "SCUBA DIN" should bring up a variety.

Thanks, I think a tank will last me 50 years. I here a small tank with nitrogen will do. Ron
I support a league of 6 or 7 juniors shooting two or three times a week and fill tanks maybe twice a year.