Hammerli 105 firing pin hitting high?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

trinity

Hammerli 105 firing pin hitting high?

Post by trinity »

I picked up a (obviously used) Hammerli 105 free pistol earlier this year because I thought why should the boys be the only ones allowed to play with 50m pistol.

I took out the other day finally to shoot at 50m. It shot pretty well. The only issue I was having is, I was getting a lot of misfires.

That is, gun goes click, I wait, and finally pull the round out, rotate the round, and try again.

I'd say I am getting probably about 30% of shots like this. The ammo was Eley Tenex. Haha, no, I am not a baller, I ended up with a few boxes of Tenex with the dimpled profile. Since I can't shoot it in my Pardini, I figured why not shoot it in my free pistol. Giving the Tenex's cost, I should hope it is not the ammo's fault.

I did notice one thing, the failed rounds seem to show the firing pin hitting pretty high. Certainly it is not hitting the rim at the edge.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hammerli 105? What should I check? The gun is older than I am, so I certainly don't want to break it by just randomly taking it apart.

-trinity
Deigeh Nisht

Re: Hammerli 105 firing pin hitting high?

Post by Deigeh Nisht »

Fabulous Free Pistol!

I have a 105 and the technical guide. Below is how it reads, verbatim:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
4. Cartridges are hit by striker but do not always go off
This may be caused by the following:

Impact of striker to weak, hence misfiring.

Striker spring 44 too slack.

Tighten screw 50.

Check whether screw 50 has been damaged.

Cartridge is not being struck at the right spot.
(See adjacent illustration).

When anything goes wrong, the expert knows the answer!

Striker broken or striker tip damaged.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The illustration that is referenced above is available at Pilk's 10P files.

I have instructions for changing the firing pin if you need them.

Best wishes,
Deigeh Nisht