Scatt MX-02 Trainer

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rigwhanson

Scatt MX-02 Trainer

Post by rigwhanson »

Anyone out there running the Scatt MX-02 system on a Mac under Windows on a Shell program such as VMware? Is so what is your experience??
RGw
mtncwru

Re: Scatt MX-02 Trainer

Post by mtncwru »

I haven't tried the MX-02, but I did try a good old fashioned Scatt USB on a MacBook Air with Windows 7 in a VMWare shell. The software installed and opened fine, and I could open and view files without difficulty, but when it came time to actually get the Scatt working I had no luck. The Scatt software wouldn't register either the target or the sensor or both, with no rhyme, reason, or pattern to the failures. Borrowed a Windows 7 laptop to test the Scatt, and it worked like a charm. Wound up buying a buddy's old laptop for $80 after that.

Others' mileage may vary widely; Scatts are notorious for liking one laptop and hating another, even within the same laptop product lines.
Erud

Post by Erud »

I have an MX-02 that I run on a MacBook with Parallels desktop running Windows 7. Works fine, and I have full functionality with the SCATT. Installing was no trouble at all. Can't guarantee that that's how it'll go for you, but I have had no issues, and I'm not exactly a computer wizard.

Good luck,
Erik
rigwhanson

Post by rigwhanson »

Well I bought a unit at Perry and tried to load it on my MacBook Pro running current Parallels and updated but old XP Professional and that would not work. Alex the Scat rep told me after I had already bought the Noptel and returned from Perry that people have had good lick with VMware and I am not sure what Versions of Windows. Interesting. May still purchase another Scatt Unit I like many things about it. How do you like the software and the analysis capability?
RGw
TomCat80

Post by TomCat80 »

I'm another happy customer who's running the Scatt MX-02 on a MacBook Pro with Parallels running Windows 7.

The only issue I've had with it is that Parallels can be a bit fussy about recognising the USB connection to the Scatt sensor if you unplug and replug it when it's not running (e.g. if you close the lid of the computer and put it to sleep before unplugging the sensor). I've trained myself to always unplug the sensor while both Parallels and the Scatt software is till running, and since I've been doing that I haven't had any trouble with it.
Erud

Post by Erud »

I like the MX-02 very much. I had a Rika a couple of years ago, but it broke twice and cost to repair in Germany was prohibitive. The SCATT software is better than the Rika version I had on mine, not sure if they have updated or not. When I had the Rika, I mainly used it for standing rifle practice and it worked well for that. I now shoot almost entirely prone, and the area of my house that I use has wood floors that are pretty glossy. I borrowed a SCATT USB from my state association for a while, and the reflectivity of the wood floors gave the IR system fits. Had to place rugs, boxes etc in between myself and the target to try to break up reflections causing false or no readings on the target. It was a pain, and would only work properly about half the time, so the USB model was not a good option for me. The MX02 uses a camera in the piece that attaches to the barrel, so reflection is not an issue. I also like the fact that I don't need to run a cable down the hallway every time I want to use it, but I can't figure out why the can't make the barrel end wireless in this age of Bluetooth. I am happy with the purchase. It was expensive, but I live in MN, so there are about 5 months per year that I can't realistically shoot outdoors, so this goes a long way to keeping me sharp - and sane.
rigwhanson

Post by rigwhanson »

Thanks to everyone for their response to my question I will probably try the Scatt again and if I cannot get it to work with the Parallels I will use VMware. I thought there would be more folks that had tried it on Parallels.
RGw