TargetScan app for Android

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

wasatch

TargetScan app for Android

Post by wasatch »

Some time ago I contacted the dev for the TargetScan app for iOS asking about an android version. It wasn't available then but today I received an email promoting a kickstarter campaign to port it to Android.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/76 ... or-android

The app scans the target and scores the round and determines other metrics. Many targets are available. It also had other functions like a database and heat map, etc.
Martin H

Re: TargetScan app for Android

Post by Martin H »

Yes, very good idea and very timely. I have been very envious of the iPhone users who can decimally score their targets with their phones.
Martin
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Waswatch, you beat me to it. I was just about to post this. I use Targetscan on IOS and find it invaluable.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
abinok

Post by abinok »

Done.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Can the app score groups? For example, on six-bull 50m targets, could it score the five shot groups?
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

It certainly can score groups. I use it to score 5 shot groups at 50m. It also allows you to adjust the position of the shot as decided by the software. If the software doesn't quite get it right you can drag the circle to centre perfectly over the shot hole. You can do this with each of the 5 shots in the group, if needed. Very easy to use and gives a nice 10 shot string summaries in both decimal and non-decimal scores.
Martin
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Excellent. I'll be interested in that then.
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

You guys got me curious so I downloaded the app for my old iPad, scanned in a bunch of recent targets, and in short order was able to get a significant improvement in my scores!
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

holmqer wrote:You guys got me curious so I downloaded the app for my old iPad, scanned in a bunch of recent targets, and in short order was able to get a significant improvement in my scores!
You mean it scored all your old 9s as 10s?
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

shaky hands wrote:
holmqer wrote:You guys got me curious so I downloaded the app for my old iPad, scanned in a bunch of recent targets, and in short order was able to get a significant improvement in my scores!
You mean it scored all your old 9s as 10s?
No it helped fine tune my sights shooting freehand vs from a rest and I could then see an improvement in score going forward.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I find it very good for AP targets with their nice neat holes but less successful with .22 targets as there needs to be a fair amount of light behind the target. The group centre facility is great as it really facilitates sighting in and sight adjustment.

Well worth the investment even for just AP.

Bob
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

BobGee wrote:I find it very good for AP targets with their nice neat holes but less successful with .22 targets as there needs to be a fair amount of light behind the target. The group centre facility is great as it really facilitates sighting in and sight adjustment.

Bob
I have not tried it backlit, so don't know if that would help it autodetect .22, but just laying the tan AP target on a piece of white paper works great. I got it for the group center feature. It will take more targets to be sure, but it is looking like fatigue not only opens my groups as expected, but has a repeatable effect on how it shifts my group center.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

BobGee wrote:I find it very good for AP targets with their nice neat holes but less successful with .22 targets as there needs to be a fair amount of light behind the target. The group centre facility is great as it really facilitates sighting in and sight adjustment.

Bob
I use it to score my .22 LR targets and it works just fine. You are holding the target in front of a monitor aren't you? The best colour for the background is blue, apparently.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

My .22 targets are a bit too large to hold in front of a monitor plus we shoot and patch so I have to try and get an image with the target still in the frame for each string. Unless there is strong sunlight (and we have some here in Oz!) falling directly on the backstop/backdrop, the light coming through the holes is not strong enough to register. It's a bit easier with .32/38 WC rounds but even then, if the backdrop is in shadow it does not pick correctly identify the holes.

Bob
SteveT

Re: TargetScan app for Android 8 days to go

Post by SteveT »

There are only 8 days to go in the Target Scan kickstarter and it needs a little over $1000 more to be funded. If you are thinking about it, it's time to get off the fence.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/76 ... or-android

Ever since I heard about the app (for iPhones) I have wanted it. I was going to steal my wifes's iPad just to try it (after I figured out how to use the darn thing). Now the makers are looking to port it to Android, but they need about 80 more people to sign on in order to fund it. I really want this app!

I am not affiliated with this project, except as a backer on Kickstarter. I just want it to happen.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

I backed it for £9 and have been posting about it on other airgun related forums (AirgunBBS, Yellow, etc.) and facebook groups (matchguns, pardini, morini, airguns... etc.) hoping to promote the campaign.

I too very much want to see the Android port happen!
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

It would be a shame if it was not able to be ported to android as it IS a good app.
skylark

Post by skylark »

Backed. I've seen this running on an ipad and it's utterly brilliant. But I have an android tablet and it's not likely to change.

No problems with .22 shots (groups of 5 on 50m targets) provided the light level is okay and there's a white or pale blue background.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Yippeeeee! The TargetScan for Android Kickstarter campaign has funded!