pellet size

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

pellet size

Post by conradin »

When a pellet went through a target paper, does the hole we score represents the head diameter, or the skirt diameter?
Also, the different sizes of pellets are the head diameter right...anywhere from 4,47-4,52.

So why not use a larger diameter pellet to create a larger hole thus taking advantage for the scoring? I'm sure one or two points can be gained for the match by that 0,05 mm difference in diameter? (electronic decimal scoring on air rifle make no difference I think).
David Levene

Re: pellet size

Post by David Levene »

Airgun shots are scored based on a 4.5mm hole.
OTD

Post by OTD »

The barrel is guiding the pellet on its head and the skirt. The hole you see on the target is representing the bore diameter of the barrel. Reference point for shot measurement on the target is the centre of the hole. It´s placement is measured from the centre with a standardized scoring 4.50mm scoring gauge, the tanget point is irrelevant.

There might be the odd 2 points in a competition but that’s probably insignificant over a longer period of time. Good for you when it works out, but it’s gambling It’s optimizing at the wrong end. There’s nothing wrong with technical optimization, but talent and sound shooting skills will take you further IMO.
william

Post by william »

conradin wrote:When a pellet went through a target paper, does the hole we score represents the head diameter, or the skirt diameter?
Also, the different sizes of pellets are the head diameter right...anywhere from 4,47-4,52.

So why not use a larger diameter pellet to create a larger hole thus taking advantage for the scoring? I'm sure one or two points can be gained for the match by that 0,05 mm difference in diameter? (electronic decimal scoring on air rifle make no difference I think).
BRILLIANT!

I think I'll start using .20 cal pellets which after exiting the .17 cal barrel will magically spring back to their original size. That ought to be worth 15 or so points per match. What do you think, Rover? Am I on to something?

But it does lead me to ask: If a pellet goes through the target and nobody sees it, does it make a hole?

To quote from one of my favorite movies, Sin City, "YEEEESH!"
Rover

Post by Rover »

I ain't touching this one.

My favorite part of Sin City is Brittany Murphy in her underwear.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Rover wrote:I ain't touching this one.

My favorite part of Sin City is Brittany Murphy in her underwear.
C'mon Rover!!!!

And Carla Giugino waking up doesn't make any impression on you??
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

william wrote:
conradin wrote:When a pellet went through a target paper, does the hole we score represents the head diameter, or the skirt diameter?

BRILLIANT!

I think I'll start using .20 cal pellets which after exiting the .17 cal barrel will magically spring back to their original size. That ought to be worth 15 or so points per match. What do you think, Rover? Am I on to something?

But it does lead me to ask: If a pellet goes through the target and nobody sees it, does it make a hole?

To quote from one of my favorite movies, Sin City, "YEEEESH!"
but then...
...with electronic targets and target reading machines it would not make any difference to the shot value.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Since I always use 4,49, does that mean every shot on the target paper has to be plugged by scoring gauges to make it uniform?
Rover

Post by Rover »

By God, you got it in one!!!
rmca

Post by rmca »

conradin wrote:Since I always use 4,49, does that mean every shot on the target paper has to be plugged by scoring gauges to make it uniform?
0,01 millimeters equals to 0.00039370079 inches...

Do you really think it matters!?
Last edited by rmca on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre

Post by Andre »

rmca wrote:
conradin wrote:Since I always use 4,49, does that mean every shot on the target paper has to be plugged by scoring gauges to make it uniform?
0,01 millimeters equals to 0.000039370079 inches...

Since a Millimeter is basically 40 thousandths, a hundredth of 40 thou is 4 tenths not 40 millionths. (.0004 not .00004)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You might put 4.49 pellets in to one end of the barrel, but what size comes out of the other end.

Please don't start shooting ISSF Centre Fire Pistol. That would blow your mind.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Andre wrote:
rmca wrote:
0,01 millimeters equals to 0.000039370079 inches...

Since a Millimeter is basically 40 thousandths, a hundredth of 40 thou is 4 tenths not 40 millionths. (.0004 not .00004)
Quite right!
I'll correct the previous post...

But the principle still remains... It doesn't matter! It won't change your (conradin) score.
Rover

Post by Rover »

C'mon RMCA, Conradin would be the first to tell you that size matters.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Of course size matters!
When measured in inches or centimeters! (anything else is just bs...)

Go and tell someone (lady or gent) that your "pellet" is 0.00039 inches longer and see if that gets you any action... ;)
conradin

Post by conradin »

rmca wrote: Quite right!
I'll correct the previous post...

But the principle still remains... It doesn't matter! It won't change your (conradin) score.
It just a logical question. no point, 1 point 2 points. One cannot tell the resulting difference whether you put a 4,48 o a 4,51 anyway. When I batch tested some samples recently (air rifle) it has more to do with the batch and the rifle than the head size.
But the question remains...after exiting the barrel, are all headsize and skirt (and thus the hole) end up as 4,5mm due to the barrel?

Or leading to this question: Why do manufacturers even bother to make any variation other than having a standard 4,5mm? I can understand pellet weight can play a part in shooting, but if I look at the specifications of a particular brand, different head sizes still listed as weighing the same.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote: But the question remains...after exiting the barrel, are all headsize and skirt (and thus the hole) end up as 4,5mm due to the barrel?
That will depend on the barrel, they have size variations.

It doesn't matter in the slightest though as all shots will be scored as 4.5mm
rmca

Post by rmca »

conradin wrote:But the question remains...after exiting the barrel, are all headsize and skirt (and thus the hole) end up as 4,5mm due to the barrel?
(...)
Or leading to this question: Why do manufacturers even bother to make any variation other than having a standard 4,5mm?
The size of the pellet as it leaves the barrel is dictated by the barrel itself. They are all supposed to be 4.5, but there is a slight variation due to manufacturer's tolerances.
If you get a tight barrel, the pellet will be smaller, likewise if the bore is slightly bigger, the pellet will be of that dimension.

Manufactures make pellets with those sizes, because of the tiny variations in bore sizes. That is why you read were all the time to test your bore to find what it likes.
Some head sizes may work well with one barrel, while another barrel might group better with a different size.

And as David said, regardless of their size as they leave the barrel, they will all be scored as a 4.5 pellet.

Hope this helps