Crowd behaviour at ISSF Finals

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Gerard

Re: Crowd behaviour at ISSF Finals

Post by Gerard »

Hey, to those who love watching golf I'm sure it's an amazingly interesting sport. To me it's about as exciting as watching someone else's baby learning to walk, which is next to not at all, but I have a brother who is fascinated by the game both as a player and a spectator. I'm fairly certain he would be livid should they decide that a bigger audience could be won by allowing the fans to go crazy during the game. Same with air pistol or rifle, or a lot of other shooting sports. It was, in its way, like golf. Now they're trying to flog the sport to a different sort of audience with all this circus behaviour. It won't work. The audience may well shift, already is I think, but it won't grow. They'll lose as many fans as they gain, and the quality of the viewership will be dumbed-down owing to it becoming more of a joke than a sport. Golfers wouldn't out up with fans screaming and banging drums. Why should shooters?
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Deigeh Nisht wrote:Dear David M,

There is lots of golf to watch on TV. Why don't you join the crowd.

Best boring wishes,

Don
There's no need to be rude, I think we're talking about competing in these conditions, not so much watching.
If people enjoy rowdy and offensive behaviour they can go to a soccer match, I wouldn't want to see shooting finish like that.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

JamesH wrote:
Deigeh Nisht wrote:Dear David M,

There is lots of golf to watch on TV. Why don't you join the crowd.

Best boring wishes,

Don
There's no need to be rude, I think we're talking about competing in these conditions, not so much watching.
If people enjoy rowdy and offensive behaviour they can go to a soccer match, I wouldn't want to see shooting finish like that.
how we compete is driven by people watching so it is one in the same
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

last years (december) Camp Perry Open (air rifle tournament) the finals were quite loud. they passed out noisemakers to those who wanted them and they blared Journey "dont stop believing" over the pa system...

earlier in the year at a match there during the finals, a competitor turned around and announced that during the finals it was appropriate and expected for the crowd to "get into the competition" and to clap, yell and cheer for their favorite shooter. it was quite reserved for most of the finals...
svensta

Post by svensta »

Spot the idiot.....
Attachments
idiot.jpeg
idiot.jpeg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Andre

Post by Andre »

SamEEE wrote:Link for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsuAsAEsRV8

Pretty obnoxious. What's up with the giant chicken, also? Is the ISSF trying to be the 'cool dad'?

ISSF needs to watch this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pd2RI0zgfE
I get the mascots in archery, but in rifle and pistol it's a bit much.... imagine looking back (not supposed to) and seeing a giant chicken waving at you. That's gonna mess you up.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

imagine looking back (not supposed to) and seeing a giant chicken waving at you. That's gonna mess you up.
Only if YOU let it. You are in charge of what you allow to linger in your mind.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Pat McCoy wrote:
imagine looking back (not supposed to) and seeing a giant chicken waving at you. That's gonna mess you up.
Only if YOU let it. You are in charge of what you allow to linger in your mind.
That's very true, and sometimes it could lighten the mood. However I'm sure for the new guy in their first high-level final it will be quite the shock.

I just watched the latest ISSF video released an hour ago, I'm having trouble watching it.