MQS

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

MQS

Post by conradin »

How does MQS REALLY work?
I thought anyone going to the Olympics must score an MQS in a match proper, or an MQS section match, for example, in a World Cup.
Then I sometimes see people attending a World Cup to go to the MQS section, yet they have already won some medals in previous competitions recently. I saw that often with the Chinese team.
On the other end of the spectrum I see people who fail repeatedly to score above the MQS during their world cup matches. Usually athletes from the middle east like Oman. How did the ISSF allow them to compete in the first place?
Do they allow "exception" to let certain individual to go to the Olympics without having ever recorded an MQS? For example what if you are the very first Saudi Arabia female pistol shooter? I remember years ago watching Winter Olympics and would see athletes from some African countries competing in downhill skiing at a leisurely speed.

Or did I get confused with World Cup participation requirement with Olympic participation requirement, that is, nothing in the ISSF rules say that these Oman athletes cannot participate in the World Cups, even if they can only manage to shoot at 510s year in and year out.
David Levene

Re: MQS

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:Or did I get confused with World Cup participation requirement with Olympic participation requirement, that is, nothing in the ISSF rules say that these Oman athletes cannot participate in the World Cups, even if they can only manage to shoot at 510s year in and year out.
The ISSF do not set a minimum standard before someone can compete in a World Cup.

Even if a nation is entering an athlete in to the Olympics on either a Host Country or a Tripartite Commission quota place that athlete must have achieved an MQS in a qualifying competition.

As I'm sure you appreciate, full details of the Olympics qualification system are explained in Annex "Q" to the ISSF rules; currently pages 55-62 of the rule book (2013, 3rd Printing).
renzo

Re: MQS

Post by renzo »

You are confusing quota places with MQS.