Air Rifle Range operating procedures

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Jsjbcoll

Air Rifle Range operating procedures

Post by Jsjbcoll »

Our range has recently expanded from a small range to a 25 point state of the art range. We are in the process of updating our operating procedures and we are interested seeing operating procedures to other ranges to make sure we don't over look anything, and to save from re creating the wheel! Is anyone interested in sharing? Thanks!
mtncwru

Re: Air Rifle Range operating procedures

Post by mtncwru »

Posting more details, especially your general location, would be very helpful in providing guidance.

Assuming that you are in the United States, the NRA has a whole Range Development department that could likely give you some pointers.
Jsjbcoll

Post by Jsjbcoll »

Yes it is in the USA, in VA. Will check with NRA to see what they will share. Have also reached out to CMP. But our range is not that high tech, yet.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

What kind of procedures are you looking for? Match operation, safety procedures, velocity and caliber limitations?

There is a lot of expertise on this board, but your question is a bit broad.

What are you trying to accomplish?

What are you trying to avoid?

Thanks,
Marc
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I am also confused by your descriptions.

"State of the art" and "not that high tech" seem to contradict each other.

It might help to know what target systems you are running: EST (electronic scoring target), electric returning, hand-crank returning, "Gehmann" box, etc.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

David Levene wrote:I am also confused by your descriptions.

"State of the art" and "not that high tech" seem to contradict each other.
Yeah, I'm also confused by that. I'm especially confused by your statement:
Jsjbcoll wrote:Have also reached out to CMP. But our range is not that high tech, yet.
Last I checked, the CMP was all about getting people shooting and had one of the strongest airgun programs in the country. They should have a pretty good notion about safety procedures, getting an SOP in place, how to train RSOs, etc.
Jsjbcoll

Post by Jsjbcoll »

By not high tech, i mean we do not have electronic targets yet. We will be using paper targets for practices and have the option of using Orion targets for matches. We are fund raising in hopes of slowly converting the range to electronic targets over the next several years.

By state of the art, we went from a garage with 7 shooting points to a 25 point range with excellent lighting, air conditioning and heating, raised platform and PA system and room to move around. Also a separate viewing area with facilities. This is a vast improvement from the 7 point garage!

Please continue to ask for clarification, since it's obvious I was not very clear in my request. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
Last edited by Jsjbcoll on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jsjbcoll

Post by Jsjbcoll »

Our range is is part of a non-profit conservation group that provides an excellent opertunity through its youth program to introduce shooting and support the local high school rifle league program. Several high schools practice here and there are two open evenings where shooters from elementary through college can shoot on a walk in basis. Hence we have a variety of coaches, but no paid staff who is there everyday.

Due to that our guidelines are being updated to encompass the new expanded facility. We are looking for copies and recommendations from other ranges of their guide lines and best practices that we can incorporate into ours, to address the following:

Opening and closing procedures
Cleaning schedules for both range and facility-daily, weekly, monthly
Rotation schedules to maintain flow during open shooting times
Safety points
Ways to maintain consistency among coaches/safety officers
Assignment of lanes, do you group new shooters next to each other? Does your coach:shooter ratios change based on shooters skill?
Safety briefings?
And anything else that could pertain.

We are just trying to get ahead of the curve, and not learn by trial and error. So I figured I would tap the experience of people on this forum!
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

So. That post right there. Open with that one next time :-)

CMP and NRA should both be able to help with a set of Standard Operating Procedures, along with ideas for mitigating liability. The leadership at Ole Mill Range, or the Palmyra juniors would also be good people to talk to directly, along with Marc Orvin and jhmartin (among many others) here on Target Talk.

Good luck!
Last edited by mtncwru on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jsjbcoll

Post by Jsjbcoll »

Thanks, learning curve. Will check with those sources. Appreciate it!
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Any thoughts of adult pistol matches at your range. I am in VA, and there is not much opportunity outside of the Fairfax Winter League.

Mike Davis
Richmond
Jsjbcoll

Post by Jsjbcoll »

Mike,

Probably in the future. One coach is talking about starting a HS pistol team, so matches usually follow. We are looking forward to not holding more home matches.

SAM