Why Shooting Jackets for Rifle but not Pistol?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pcw

Re: Why Shooting Jackets for Rifle but not Pistol?

Post by pcw »

All I can say is, I can't afford all the kit for 3p shooting and I can't afford to buy it for my kids. By comparison, keeping them in the kit needed for biathlon is much cheeper and there's a lot more races to use the skis. I was interested in getting back into 3p, which I shot in the70's, but the expence put me off. I am just amazed by the amount of money I have seen parents spend on kit for their kids only to see them sell it a few years latter when the kids drop out of the sport.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

How do clubs take care of this from a rifle standpoint? A big pile of leather in the corner + "find one that fits" sort of deal?
Image Image
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

I can only speak for our Club where we have a Rack or two of Jackets, Slings and a variety of Gloves which fit most. A mix of Rifles, left and Right handed to suit most from lighter ones for Juniors to ones more suited to seniors. Some of these came from retiring shooters who donated or sold to the Club on retiring so they are of a pretty good standard. We also supply Ammo to those who are starting out at near to our cost.

These are available all new comers who can use them for as long as they like. After they get comfortable they are helped to select new Gear for themselves, advice that is. There is usually second hand Gear around if you look for it.
IRLConor

Post by IRLConor »

Martin Catley wrote:I can only speak for our Club where we have a Rack or two of Jackets, Slings and a variety of Gloves which fit most. A mix of Rifles, left and Right handed to suit most from lighter ones for Juniors to ones more suited to seniors. Some of these came from retiring shooters who donated or sold to the Club on retiring so they are of a pretty good standard. We also supply Ammo to those who are starting out at near to our cost.

These are available all new comers who can use them for as long as they like. After they get comfortable they are helped to select new Gear for themselves, advice that is. There is usually second hand Gear around if you look for it.
Yup. That's pretty much how my local club works as well. It's a university club, so last year there were ~650 members, maybe 150-200 of whom shot at least once and fewer than 50 regulars. From the regulars, maybe five members have a full set of kit for themselves. Everyone else uses club rifles, jackets, trousers, gloves, slings, etc. The jackets get worn out pretty quickly as you might imagine. Most of them are useful for about 2 years and then are only fit for absolute beginners. Gloves get trashed pretty quickly too.

Most of the newer shooters start off by buying smaller items like gloves, handstops and slings and they usually get a rifle last. Typically, people are shooting in the club for 3-5 years by the time they buy their own rifle.