.177 scoring gauge vs .177 outside scoring gauge..

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

.177 scoring gauge vs .177 outside scoring gauge..

Post by conradin »

As the title says...what is the difference and when do I use which?
David Levene

Re: .177 scoring gauge vs .177 outside scoring gauge..

Post by David Levene »

For 10m the inward scoring gauge is only used for:-

1 & 2 rings in Air Rifle
1 ring in Air Pistol
10m Running Target

Outward scoring gauges are used at all other times.

Rules 6.3.5.4 to 6.3.5.10
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:...THE APPROPRIATE Outward scoring gauges are used at all other times.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:
David Levene wrote:...THE APPROPRIATE Outward scoring gauges are used at all other times.
Yes. What he said :-)
conradin

Post by conradin »

David Levene wrote:For 10m the inward scoring gauge is only used for:-

1 & 2 rings in Air Rifle

ie, checking if the pellet touches the 1 or 2 rings? If checking for 4 ring, you use the outward gauge?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:
David Levene wrote:For 10m the inward scoring gauge is only used for:-

1 & 2 rings in Air Rifle

ie, checking if the pellet touches the 1 or 2 rings? If checking for 4 ring, you use the outward gauge?
Yes
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Good article here and also in the rulebooks:
http://www.odcmp.org/0108/?page=SCORINGGAUGES

Another thing to remember is that you must also be using the proper target. A mistake many make these days is to use gauges to score an ORION target.
The rings & thickness on these targets may not be to proper dimensions ... they are used as reference only. This is now very evident as the ORION targets are using thick dashed lines for the rings.
ORION targets are meant to be scored by the computer that starts by finding the center of the black bull. It pays no attention to the rings.

Make sure you use the proper ISSF/USAS, NRA or CMP targets with the plugs.

(Little known --- the ORION system will also properly score the ISSF single bull air rifle & air pistol targets)
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

JH.. Do orion score easier with a plug or just random or? Ive been buying them cause they are not much more expensive, what they shoot in most matches, and the paper quality is so much better. We only score by hand at home, but score isn't that important anyway.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The way i understand it:

The NRA and CMP AR5/10 targets go thru (or are supposed to go thru) a quality check to make sure that the ring diameters, black bull diameters and line widths are printed to the specifications. There is actually a person at the NRA whose job is to do this on all of the targets that are NRA approved. This was specifically for the days when they had master plates made for printing. Now that most of it is digital, I'm not sure exactly what they do ... atke a sample of the targets and measure them?

ORION was never meant to be used with manual plugs, although they are close enough for practices and most unsanctioned matches.

I'm pretty sure the bull diameters are very precise but the rings are now dashed and seem to me to be thicker than the target specifications of ISSF (Which flow down to NRA, USAS & CMP). I'm pretty sure that neither the NRA or CMP would allow a record on these targets unless they were scored by the ORION software. Be aware that once you plug one of these targets for sure you should not use the program to score it.
(This is VERY evident on the targets as on an unplugged hole you can see the rifling marks on the hole edges in high zoom)

I had found that the ORION targets are about 3x expensive than the AR5/10 targets.
(I have not bought regular AR5/10 type targets in over 5 years now)
That may be different now that the ORIONs are not printed on (european)A4 size paper, but regular (US) letter size paper.
I am also not sure that they are printed on Kruger paper anymore. (no Kruger logo on the targets anymore)
erikkanderson

Post by erikkanderson »

A couple of clarification points with respect to Orion.

We have made every reasonable effort to draw the scoring rings on Orion targets accurately. When we moved our printing operation to the United States I worked very closely with the printer to make sure the scoring rings would be printed accurately. With this said, yes, Orion absolutely ignores the scoring rings. All the matters is the comparison between the center of the aiming bull and center of the shot hole.

We moved to dashed scoring rings for a very practical reason. The scoring rings have always been "noise" to Orion. While yes Orion will score shots accurately with the solid scoring rings, Orion will score more accurately with the dashed scoring rings. In effect we removed half of the "noise" on the target.