Compressors

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

m1963

Compressors

Post by m1963 »

Over the past year or so new air compressors aimed specifically at the air pistol/rifle market have begun to show up in the US. They are somewhat pricey. However, the cost may be warranted for those clubs who have developed a continual need.

For those that have purchased a compressor what advice can you provide going forward? Are the compact versions viable? Is an industrial compressor a better option for a club?

Some of the compressors are made in China, others appear to be UK based-
http://www.precisionairgunsandsupplies. ... sp?Cat=392

Any recommendations, or warnings not to buy, from those with experience in this area are most welcome.
Andre

Re: Compressors

Post by Andre »

m1963

Post by m1963 »

Interesting. What is the total start up cost? Would you purchase it again, or choose a different option?
jbzeus

Post by jbzeus »

Love my Shoebox. It is easy to use and fills my tank nicely. There is some maintnence to grease it but it is simple. I have the Freedom 8 which fills twice as fast. The new ones are more self contained than the Shoebox as you have to have a seperate airless (cheap) compressor. But I really like my Shoebox.
Andre

Post by Andre »

m1963 wrote:Interesting. What is the total start up cost? Would you purchase it again, or choose a different option?

Cheers!
m1963
I do not own that compressor, I use a hand pump for all my PCP guns. Just including another option.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have a Bauer Oceanus compressor. It is overkill as far as capacity, but I bought it for 1/2 price of a new one. I was at the right place/right time. I have been offered more than I paid for mine. So like many tools, expensive stuff tends to hold value. I would suggest looking for a quality used compressor at a good price, and you will probably be able to sell it for more than you paid in a few years. And another perspective, good 22 ammo is at least 1000 bucks per case of 5000. Pellets are 100 per 5000. So 15000 rounds of pellets plus a compressor, that will hold residual value, is the same as 3 cases of 22 ammo. Point being a 2000 dollar compressor is very affordable. I personally shoot in the house, and in the back yard, and I can't do that with 22LR. Really saves time going to the range and increases practice time. Hand pumps and the shoe box have moisture, and that is not good for the airgun, I know it voids the warranty on an Anschutz and other brands. Airetex, and Bauer are often found on Ebay.
Andre

Post by Andre »

TerryKuz wrote:Hand pumps have moisture, and that is not good for the airgun, I know it voids the warranty on an Anschutz and other brands.
A lot of hand pumps have air drying desiccant beads to suck up moisture, and you can get inline air filters for your shop compressor, to dry the output air going into the Shoebox. Professional painters that use spray guns (Automotive, etc) use them so oil from the compressor pump doesn't leave spots in the paint.
Last edited by Andre on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

TerryCuz, we had not heard of Bauer compressors and checked into them based on your post. Pricey, for sure!
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

If you are still looking for a compressor, http://www.sheldensportinggoods.com

These are built around a Kidde 2.4 to 4.2cfm compressor, pretty robust and worthy of a look. I originally tried to buy a Bauer Oceanus but ended up with a Shelden 4.2 unit and it works as advertised.