Motorcycle Rifle Case?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JC2021

Motorcycle Rifle Case?

Post by JC2021 »

Any good ideas for a case for moi?

I just ordered a rifle from Jim E. but it won't arrive with a case. I ride my motorcycle a lot so I'm wondering if there is a soft-sided sling type case I could use? Not sure if there are any legal considerations either? I am aware that I'll need a hard case if I want to fly with it ever, maybe later but not against a one-stop do-it-all case!

I was thinking something like this but cheaper, geez.
http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-h ... -gun-case/

Any good suggestions welcome!
mtncwru

Re: Motorcycle Rifle Case?

Post by mtncwru »

So a few things to consider:
1.) You're in probably the most anti-gun city in the entire state, and that's saying something in California. DO NOT walk that air rifle* outside without a case. Air rifles are considered an "imitation firearm" under CRC 12550.(c), and public display is illegal under CRC 20170. Exceptions include engaging in commerce, if you're at a range where such use is normal, or if you're using one to make a movie (this IS California, after all!).
*(was it the 602? If so, EXCELLENT choice from a very reputable guy!)
Source: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displ ... 0150-20180

2.) If you have the option of driving your car while transporting your air rifle, do that. It will be more secure, and you are less likely to be pulled over by SFPD and have to explain, "No officer, this isn't a firearm, it's just a really fancy BB gun." Also if you crash, you're far more likely to have the air rifle survive than if it's skittering down the pavement after you.

3.) Jim E. is a man who doesn't mess around when it comes to shipping. His stuff might not ship in a transport case, but it's also not going to ship without a box. If he has the factory box for that rifle, that will include a healthy piece of styrofoam inside designed to protect your rifle from the ravages of international shipping. It will do just fine for your trips to the range until you can get a case that isn't quite so squeeky when you open it.

4.) If you want a soft case, both Creedmoor Sports (http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/home.php) and 10.9 (http://www.10pt9.com/cart.php) make nice soft cases. I believe Creedmoor even offers one with backpack straps, though I'm not sure I would recommend that on your motorcycle. Might have a negative impact on your balance, depending on your bike and stance.

5.) If you want a hard case, the Pelican 1700 or the Storm im3100 should be long enough to fit your air rifle. Double check that before you buy one though, and make sure you're referencing the internal dimensions when you check. Also remember that you want at least an inch, preferably two on all sides of your rifle for air travel.

Hope that helps! Welcome to the wonderfully addictive thing that is precision shooting!
j-team

Post by j-team »

Here ya go:
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

GREAT help, thank you so much! Yes, I'm the proud new Mama of the FWB 602 from Jim! I'm jealous that you live in S.D., that's my retirement goal in 40 years.

I do have a truck, I just get atrocious gas mileage so I rarely take it out. Good point about the crashing possibility though. I've done that already, no bueno. I thought a sling style would be easier than a backpack style though since I think it'd stick up too high and be a drag (pun intended) in the wind.

Being from the Midwest I am painfully aware that I "ain't in Kansas anymore," ha! I always operate under the assumption that the cops won't care that I'm married to an officer if I ever get hassled! My officer hates guns, go figure. I was going to take a trip to a local gun shop or Bass Pro with it once it arrives unless I get a good suggestion here of something to go ahead and order.
jr

Post by jr »

mtncwru - Great answers! Thorough, detailed, factual, and relevant.

I agree that the car (or truck) is better than the motorcycle for that. Still, when it's not been my turn to have the family car I've carried rifles on the back of my motorcycle - in a locked hard case, strapped down securely on the passenger seat. Just remember: no lane splitting if you do that!
conradin

Post by conradin »

Come check out my anschutz soft case and my biathlon soft bag.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Swiss solution complete with Panzerfaust 3 for those tough hills...

Previous generation solution: heavier gear - single speed bike.

Swiss Bicycle Infantry: at least 20% more likely to be hit by a senior citizen.

Image Image
kilowhiskey

Post by kilowhiskey »

JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

jr wrote:mtncwru - Great answers! Thorough, detailed, factual, and relevant.

I agree that the car (or truck) is better than the motorcycle for that. Still, when it's not been my turn to have the family car I've carried rifles on the back of my motorcycle - in a locked hard case, strapped down securely on the passenger seat. Just remember: no lane splitting if you do that!
Forgetting you were wider than normal? That would be a harsh and expensive realization mid-traffic! I wasn't sure if it would be too long to go across at all. I guess I'll have a better idea one I see it. Do you use bungies to strap it on there?
jr

Post by jr »

Correct - bungee cords to strap it down to the back.

I have the rifle in a hard case similar to this one: http://www.phillycase.com/sc_images/pro ... m3300f.jpg (but a cheaper one), and I use three sturdy bungees as follows: One from each of the passenger peg frames in an "X" across to the passenger grab bar (those apply downward pressure to the case and provide most of the force to keep it on the seat), and the third one goes from end-to-end on the rifle case itself but looped through the passenger grab bars in the middle (that one keeps it laterally secure). It's just a regular-sized motorcycle (Honda CB500X) and it seems to be pretty tight and secure. You'd want bungee cords to be the right length so they're exerting force but not under too much strain. The first time I did this I put a cargo net on as well, but that looked funky and seemed to be unnecessary. Plus, I don't like using the cargo net because I always seem to get it all tangled up.

It's not too wide - it's narrower than extended arms would be, anyway, but riders who are used to lane splitting do have to remember that it's back there. I guess that could be like the kind of mistake where you try to go into a garage with a bike on a roof rack - not saying that's happened to me, though :)
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I used the same idea as jr with my Anschutz 1813 in a 52" Gunguard single case. I did though have a half fairing and pannier boxes on my old Z750. That meant the gun case was only about 3" wider either side of the bike, so not too much of an issue. I used it for a weekend to Bisley, about a 400 mile round trip. I had all my 3P kit with me plus sleeping bag and tent. The bike was a bit top heavy though.

Oh one other thing to remember, 1000 rounds of .22lr and 200 rounds of 7.62×51 NATO in a tank bag are a bad idea. The steering gets a bit twitchy with that onboard. Brought that all the way home from Bisley on a Honda CB350S. I had lost the empty throw over saddle bags on the way down.

I did enjoy the bikes but can't ride them anymore. Stay safe have fun.

Alan
Rover

Post by Rover »

In the past with my BMW, I've put the gun in a soft case, put the butt on top of my pannier muzzle forward, and put a couple of bungees on it. It worked really well.