No idea what to get... help!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JC2021

No idea what to get... help!

Post by JC2021 »

I'm spinning my wheels not knowing what to get! Help talk some sense into me!

I have used a buddy's AR20 off and on and it was fine. Didn't love it, felt heavy compared to the couple very expensive rifles I got to hold for half a second. :D My Dad has a huge powder gun collection so I'm familiar with all that comes with those and want to go in a "kinder/gentler" direction for my ears and shoulder.

Part of the problem is I like too many different things. I'm very competitive so I know I'll want to do that if I can find time. I also want to improve my powder rifle scores. I won't be hunting, but can see wanting to shoot at the range perhaps further than just the 10m olympic distance which sounds really short.

So, do I get something like the Benjamin Marauder cause they're cheap and look like regular rifles and sound accurate in reviews by the million owners that love them? Or do I get the FWB 602 (or similar) Jim is selling here so I don't have to use air and that would be even cheaper? Or do I continue saving for the Walther LG400 I like? You see my dilemma? I'm nuts! :0 Please throw in some good suggestions to help me narrow it down a bit, geez.
kevinweiho

Re: No idea what to get... help!

Post by kevinweiho »

JC2021 wrote:So, do I get something like the Benjamin Marauder cause they're cheap and look like regular rifles and sound accurate in reviews by the million owners that love them? Or do I get the FWB 602 (or similar) Jim is selling here so I don't have to use air and that would be even cheaper? Or do I continue saving for the Walther LG400 I like? You see my dilemma? I'm nuts! :0 Please throw in some good suggestions to help me narrow it down a bit, geez.
Is the rifle for plinking, hunting, or competition? Follow your gut feelings, you're probably gonna make the right choice. Later down the road, you'll know that one rifle will never satisfy the need to purchase more rifles.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ask Conradin, he's in your neighborhood.
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

Looks like he's newer to rifles also, mostly a pistol/crossbow dude?

I won't be hunting unless it's bugs, I love the fluffy little guys too much but don't have a problem eating them. :)
I will be a can-killer, range-visitor only as I think it's even illegal to shoot on my own property out here.
conradin

Post by conradin »

You can always get a 300m Bleiker and you will never need to buy another rifle again (or any firearm for that matter, since it will empty your bank account and more). :)
http://www.pardiniguns.com/store/produc ... s1ner7im13
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

I dont think listing $500 to $2000 options implied I have a spare $10k lying around! :O
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Check out the choices available from the civilian marksmanship program CMP. You need to join a range or otherwise have a place to shoot or it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on a rifle. If you belong to a cmp affiliated range of program their are rifles ranging from $100 to $2000 using sap, co2, or pcp.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have been shooting my Savage MK1 FVT and having a ball. It isn't an Anschutz, and also doesn't cost like one. I think that might be worth a look.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

One of everything is clearly the best solution.
Image Image
JC2021

Post by JC2021 »

SamEEE wrote:One of everything is clearly the best solution.
Oh good, I'll tell the Mrs!
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

JC2021 wrote:I'm spinning my wheels not knowing what to get! Help talk some sense into me!

I have used a buddy's AR20 off and on and it was fine. Didn't love it, felt heavy compared to the couple very expensive rifles I got to hold for half a second. :D My Dad has a huge powder gun collection so I'm familiar with all that comes with those and want to go in a "kinder/gentler" direction for my ears and shoulder.

Part of the problem is I like too many different things. I'm very competitive so I know I'll want to do that if I can find time. I also want to improve my powder rifle scores. I won't be hunting, but can see wanting to shoot at the range perhaps further than just the 10m olympic distance which sounds really short.

So, do I get something like the Benjamin Marauder cause they're cheap and look like regular rifles and sound accurate in reviews by the million owners that love them? Or do I get the FWB 602 (or similar) Jim is selling here so I don't have to use air and that would be even cheaper? Or do I continue saving for the Walther LG400 I like? You see my dilemma? I'm nuts! :0 Please throw in some good suggestions to help me narrow it down a bit, geez.
You better follow what your heart says bro. Try one at a time. You'll be good in everything but you will be best in only one thing.