SCATT calibration

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

SCATT calibration

Post by conradin »

How do I know when the calibration of the SCATT system is completed? All I can see is the crosshair aiming at the target area, and moves when I aim, but it never tells me when to stop.
David Levene

Re: SCATT calibration

Post by David Levene »

Have you tried pulling the trigger? (I presume that's still needed on the latest versions, but maybe not)
conradin

Post by conradin »

Yes I do. The graphics still says nothing.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the unit to ensure it picks up the click of the trigger. Again, I presume that's still a feature in the latest software.
conradin

Post by conradin »

How do I do that? Also on the Hammerli AR20 there is no dry fire mechanism, will the sensor still sense it? Loosening the cylinder to create dry fire means the sensor becomes unstable.
Right now I use my MG2ERF and it still does not respond...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:How do I do that?
I seem to remember, from the last time I looked at Scatt software, that the trigger sensitivity was a slider on the calibration screen. Might be marked as "Piezo".

conradin wrote:Also on the Hammerli AR20 there is no dry fire mechanism, will the sensor still sense it? Loosening the cylinder to create dry fire means the sensor becomes unstable.
You need to either dry or live fire for Scatt to work. It can only sense that the trigger has gone off, if the trigger has actually gone off.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

conradin wrote:How do I do that? Also on the Hammerli AR20 there is no dry fire mechanism, will the sensor still sense it? Loosening the cylinder to create dry fire means the sensor becomes unstable.
I believe the AR 20 can be dry fired by cocking the gun, and then not closing the bolt.
Andre

Post by Andre »

dschaller wrote:
conradin wrote:How do I do that? Also on the Hammerli AR20 there is no dry fire mechanism, will the sensor still sense it? Loosening the cylinder to create dry fire means the sensor becomes unstable.
I believe the AR 20 can be dry fired by cocking the gun, and then not closing the bolt.
How does the bolt close? Can you rubber band it to another part of the gun, so it jolts forward triggering the trainer but not enough for the hammer to hit the valve and dump air.
ZD

Post by ZD »

Conradin

As has been mentioned above, you need to adjust the piezo sensitivity. As a general principal, the higher the sensitivity, the more likely it will pick up the vibration of the trigger. Lower piezo settings work better for live fire, higher for dry fire, however you shouldn't have to go past the lower quartile of the sliding bar, I believe you shouldn't have to increase your sensitivity past 20% if my late night memory serves me right. However, if this doesn't work, check how tight your sensor is attached to your rifle. Ill give you an example; with my teams older usb scatt models, we placed the sensor in a v-shaped piece of aluminum, and then attached it under the barrel with zip ties. I noticed that if I only had one zip tie on, and if it wasn't tight enough, the rifle did not pick up the shot consistently. We have the new Mx-2 models now, and we use the mounting system as it came; I haven't had any issues. So, on that note, what model are you using? Also, if you still cannot get the shot to pick up, try unplugging the unit and restarting your computer. This suggestion sounds silly, however I had to constantly restart SCATT and the computer with our older models on certain days to get it to work and reinstall the driver sotware. I still have to restart things with the Mx-2 models, although quite a bit less. If this doesn't work or you have any more questions let me know, I would be happy to help.

Best of luck,
-Zach
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ZD wrote: As has been mentioned above, you need to adjust the piezo sensitivity.
Reading between the lines it appears that Conradin was trying to get the Scatt to work without releasing the trigger (I might be wrong).

Obviously, no amount of sensitivity adjustment will overcome that.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Also ... the Anschutz 2002CA also "dry fires" by leaving the handle up and pulling the trigger.
On my daughter's gun this WILL NOT reliably register on the scatt. Use an empty tube (HEY! A use for your expired tubes) and cock & fire normally.

The calibration needs to sense a (reliable) click/ping/whatever to register any shot. That calibration shot then is used as the 10.9 point on the target