how to cock an SSP in match environment?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Lavrider

how to cock an SSP in match environment?

Post by Lavrider »

I have a Anschnutz 2002SA SSP that I just have fun with in the basement, VT Postal Match, etc. It occurred to me last night that, in a shooting range environment, it would be very difficult to cock it while keeping it pointed safely down range. I find that the best way for me is to hold the stock in my left hand, place the butt on the top of my left thigh and cock it with the right hand. This results in the rifle pointing near the ceiling and to the right. I've never been on a range but I assume this would be frowned upon. Also, it's near impossible to keep my feet positioned for shooting, resulting in me reconstructing the position on every shot.

For those that shot an SSP in matches, what was your technique?
izzyjim

Re: how to cock an SSP in match environment?

Post by izzyjim »

I switch to a position that allows me to cock with the pistol pointed downrange, then switch back to my shooting stance.

I am confident in my ability to re-assume a shooting stance, so I don't think this causes me any problems.

But since I am only a marksman class shooter, I could be wrong. That is what I do anyway. Good luck...Jim
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

It was pretty standard to move your chair up next to you (to the front). Place the butt on the seat of the chair & cock. Then resume position. Muzzle always up or downrange.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't over think this. Just do what ya gotta do.

Worry when you get slap on the back of the head.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Just ask the folks running the match what would they consider a "safe way" for you to cock the rifle. And just go from there.
The chair is a method I've seen used, just make sure you don't use more space than your fire point has.
Also, you can place the butt of the rifle on your firing bench and cock it, depending on the height of the bench and yours.

As Rover said, don't overthink it... And there's no need to add an helmet to your shooting gear! ;)

Hope this helps
Lavrider

Post by Lavrider »

Thanks everyone for the comments.