SCATT problem

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sureshot007

SCATT problem

Post by sureshot007 »

I have an old serial SCATT hooked to an equally old laptop. Occasionally, I'll have a shot end up nowhere near the trace line, and I can't figure out why. Has anyone else experienced this?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C6XW ... oad_-1.jpg
David Levene

Re: SCATT problem

Post by David Levene »

It just looks like the effect of snatching the trigger; a rapid movement just before the trigger breaks.

Try opening the file and reducing the f-coefficient to 0 and you will probably find that the shot comes back to the line.

Also, and it's a while since I looked at Scatt software, you will probably find an acceleration of the trace in the last 0.1-0.3 seconds.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I'll have to try that tonight.

I saw that value, but had no idea what it really did. What is it supposed to represent?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

sureshot007 wrote:What is it supposed to represent?
In broad terms, where the projectile would strike taking into account the velocity of the trace as the shot breaks.

It is a time-based variable that will be different for every gun/shooter/ammunition combination.

If you are using Scatt to simulate a match then you should experiment with the f-coefficient to get results close to what you would expect.

If however you are using the Scatt graphs and stats to measure improvement (or otherwise) in technique then many experienced shooters and coaches would set the f-coefficient to 0.