100 yard prone shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

outlaw

100 yard prone shooting

Post by outlaw »

What is the best ammo for 22nd to shoot out of anschutz 1918. Do I use standard or high velocity so I don't get as much bullet drop. I am using sk standard at 50 feet I'm very happy with it
Shooter

Re: 100 yard prone shooting

Post by Shooter »

Normal standard velocity ammo works best. High velocity does NOT work at all for accuracy. You just have to adjust your sights for 100 yds and go from there. Don't switch. Don in Oregon
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Try your SK ammo at 100 yards. Sand bag the rifle and shoot several groups at 100 yards, if groups are X-ring in size then your good.

HV ammo will go transonic before 100 yards.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Yes just stick with your normal match grade ammunition. Based on a normal sight length, to go from short range to 100 yards you will need to come up 40 to 50 clicks on a 10 turn sight or 80 to 100 clicks on a 20 click unit. That should put you in around the 9 ring, if you don't use cant. If you cant you will need to allow some windage for that too. Once you have done it a few times you should know how many clicks your specific setup needs to put you pretty much in the 10 ring.

Alan
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I shoot silhouette at 100 meters, and for the rather large accuracy requirement SK was very popular. In recent years the common comment is SK is very good, but the fliers are more frequent. I switched to RWS target for "cheap" ammo. Typically 8-10 moa from 40 meters to 100 meters. More expensive ammo tends to shoot tighter groups, and less fliers.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Couple things you may or may not know. If your sighted in at 50ft you will be surprisingly close at 50YDS. We cant ever shoot at 100yd except at matches. If your 3 1/2 inch high at 50 yds you will be pretty close at 100. Count how far before the match, if you cant train at 100.
yana

Post by yana »

Trying=knowing.
My 1808DRT likes Eley match EPS/Tenex best.
As did my ex-2007 btw
beye

Post by beye »

Ammo that is good enough for 50 yd. is quite often not good enough for 100 yd. prone targets. Testing at 100 is the only way to know how good it is. As we all know, rimfires are true individuals and ammo that shoots well in 1 rifle @ 100 may not work well in another. Eley is about the only brand I shoot these days and I have selected lots of Team, Match and Tenex that are all good shooters @100 in a matching rifle. But definitely, as mentioned above, use standard velocity ammo, since HV will have about 50% more wind drift @ 100 and even without wind, will be somewhat larger groups. Several years ago, we had a visiting shooter who had been shooting only @ 50M in Germany. He was using HV match ammo and did very well @ 50. He was surprised how large his groups were when we moved out to 100 (its a windy range). Upon our suggestion, he switched to SV ammo and was back to shooting well. If you can only buy 1 ammo for shooting both 50 & 100, be sure to do your testing @ 100 before deciding on a lot.