target paper quality

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

target paper quality

Post by conradin »

I am trying to print out reduce size target via SCATT. But all the paper I have tried could not handle the pellets. The pellets kept tearing up the paper thus scoring was impossible. I even have tried to double the paper targets in the pellet trap but it still did not work. I have used paper up to 110 lbs (200g/m2) from the basic 24. I wonder if anyone know what is the weight of the paper used by Edelmann and Kruger?
RandomShotz

Re: target paper quality

Post by RandomShotz »

I don't think the weight is the key. Kruger apparently uses very short fiber pulp which is why their targets break when you try to bend them. Recycled paper tends to have shorter fiber, so that may make a difference. I used to use 67 lb vellum cover for FP targets, but I don't know how that will work for AP. It was better than ordinary paper but still not as good as a store-bought target.

There were some techniques for homemade targets posted here a few years ago. I vaguely recall that one person brushed the paper with diluted white glue. Another technique involved toasting the paper in an oven after the target was printed. I don't remember the details of that but you will probably want to stop the process before you see smoke.

Roger
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

How about using heavy paper... like card stock, brochure or tent card paper.
ric1911a1

Post by ric1911a1 »

Maybe you could print the reduced bull on the back side of regular targets?
Rover

Post by Rover »

You could probably print several bulls on some good target paper, then cut them and tape them to a piece of cardboard. Cheap!
Andre

Post by Andre »

Possibly back up a printer paper target with that heavy duty (non corrugated) cardboard found on the backs of notebooks and notepads.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Print on the backside of a Kruger target, that's what I do. As Randomshotz says they are made with a short fiber paper (even shorter than just recycled paper), that's why they break so clean.

I take the output from the SCATT and edit it so I have 4 bulls on a target, saves some money in the long run.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
pfiori

Post by pfiori »

I use target backers as my source of blank target paper.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Printing on used targets do not work because my printer is not capable of that. It can only take in 8.5"x11" paper. So far both the 67 and the 110 pounds card stock fail miserably. If only I know what Kruger or Edelmann use that would be good.
dronning

Post by dronning »

conradin wrote:Printing on used targets do not work because my printer is not capable of that. It can only take in 8.5"x11" paper. So far both the 67 and the 110 pounds card stock fail miserably. If only I know what Kruger or Edelmann use that would be good.
My targets are the A4 size paper, 10-Bull National Match Air Rifle competition target, 200 yard SR target reduced I got from the CMP. I have to adjust my printer for the heavier paper. I have been printing 4 bulls on the back but the latest batch I have started printing 5. Oh I don't print on "used" targets, only new targets, just on the back side.

You could cut the targets you have down to a size your printer will take.

- Dave

You won't find the paper that Kruger uses available anywhere, they special order it from the mill and I believe they have an exclusive agreement on it. I was in the paper/paperboard business years back and I can tell you that paper is a specialty paper.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

saktabor

Post by saktabor »

I know that most of you know about this or have used it but if you have a cardboard backer for your targets on your pellet trap or can incorporate cardboard as part of your target attachment system, the old method of using a bit of flattened plastecine or ducseal behind the black part of the target, sure works for me. It works by far the best with a cardboard backer of some sort.

Experimenting, I can punch perfect holes in the cheapest, lightweight bond using this method. Currently, I am using up a bunch of National brand targets and the difference this backing system makes in pellet hole clarity before and after is quite considerable. I get it that fiddling with a ball of plastecine is not for everyone but once you have a little system down, you are only into the technique for about 15 seconds extra per target.

cheers Bob
Andre

Post by Andre »

Framers matting cutters work great for paper target cutting, better than paper cutters. I separate 4 bull air pistol targets with one.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Go To Walmart and buy cheap manilla folders. I hang American targets on these and get respectable holes from both my P44 and 777. Sometimes I even take the time to use cheep elmers spray glue to stick em together....
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey Conradin, just remember:

"Life is like toilet paper. You are either on a roll or taking shit off some asshole."
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

If the reduced targets are just for practice, not scoring, you could get a rubber stamp made of the right diameter for your reduced black blob and just stamp four if those on the backs of used 10 metre targets. I print little targets on the backs of my used 10 metre targets with an inkjet printer after rubbing the loose bits of paper off the backs with a stiff brush for a second. I clean maybe 50 used targets and run off a batch from a PDF I laid out scaled for 6 metre practice. The dots are about the size of a quarter. I then slice them into 4 quarters and just ignore the little holes at one corner of each new target. A rubber stamp would probably be just as easy.
Chris__Colorado

Post by Chris__Colorado »

Before I $prung for real targets, I would "cook" my paper between 130-150 degrees to drive out the moisture and make it a bit brittle.
Made for nicer and cleaner holes. If I remember correctly, I would bake it for about an hour.
Just print your targets before baking.
Just, don't go over 160 or your paper targets will brown.....
Chris

Edit: For heavens sake, be safe. Stay and watch. Not responsible if your house goes in flames...and all that.
perhaps a dehydrator might be safer, but I never tried it using one.
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

I have used a front target with a cut out center of the right diameter in front of a regular target, you could mask the edges to match the target outside dimensions as well.

/Anders