Can I live fire on Scatt WS01

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

john_almighty

Can I live fire on Scatt WS01

Post by john_almighty »

I have never seen the non wire version of Scatt WS01.
I am curious to know can I live fire on it with an air pistol. If I am careful to not shoot the IR receivers on the frame.
If someone usually shoots inside the black can he take a chance to do so for few shots.
Is there anything behind the target that should not be shot at.

I am drawn towards the WS01 since it does not have a cable, else would have prefered the MX02 the new one but dangling cables are annoying with an air pistol.

Thanks
John
dronning

Re: Can I live fire on Scatt WS01

Post by dronning »

I have shot pellets with mine and have had no issues but do so at your own risk. One bad shot and it will be expensive.

I don't do it any more since it was hard to get the live shots and the screen to line up perfectly - it was a distraction.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

I have very rarely used an electronic trainer before.
Now I am trying to incorporate it in my training.

As you have used Scatt before,

Do you think it has been useful as a stand alone tool i.e. your dry firing on Scatt over time has been helpful in recognising and fixing issues that has helped with live shooting.

I am curious to know since I have heard, Scatt helps in recognising aspects of shooting that cannot be figured out by yourself or a coach easily, one example someone gave me was that he was consistently shooting at 15 sec since picking up the pistol, but the Scatt showed that he would have shot better if he fired in 8 sec range.

I dont know if Scatt can actually tell you that. But I am curious to know your experience.
I have full access to a firing range so I am not looking to get the Scatt to compensate for that.
Thanks again for your reply
John
dronning

Post by dronning »

I compete in both Bullseye and air pistol and I use the SCATT every day. I focus on the group size and what the trace tells me. When I change something (stance, grip, etc..) I use the comment feature to record the change and then I compare the results before and after the change. Only change one thing at a time.

One exercise that really has helped is shooting on a blank piece of paper, still using the SCATT. I calibrate with the bull and verify with the few sighters then I flip the target over. Not having a bull to distract me helped me reduce my errant shots by 50%.

- Dave

Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

Thank you. That was useful to know. I also intend to use it similarly and hoping the trace will tell me things I might not know.