Mirage reading with scope sight - can it be done?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ABoyd57946

Mirage reading with scope sight - can it be done?

Post by ABoyd57946 »

Hello all - question for the forum. As some of you know I am a U.S. NRA smallbore prone scope shooter. Q- is it possible to set your shooting scope up to read mirage and shoot on the 50 and 100 targets accurately without touching your focus knob every shot, thus eliminating a need for a spotting scope? If so how do I go about setting this up in my scope? Thanks, Tony
Soupy44

Re: Mirage reading with scope sight - can it be done?

Post by Soupy44 »

For sure, so long as you're OK reading mirage sin front of and past your target. Just look at the ground in those places. They sometimes blend together, but I've pulled it off before, but it's not ideal.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Focus your scope so that it is a little in FRONT of your target. You'll be able to see the mirage better.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Rover wrote:Focus your scope so that it is a little in FRONT of your target. You'll be able to see the mirage better.
Yep, that's pretty much what I do. I focus it JUST in front of the target. The upside is that I can see mirage without ever breaking position, even a little. The downside is that I can only track the mirage immediately in front of the target; to see it half the distance to the target like I usually like to, I still need to use my spotting scope.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Back in the day, when I was a Bench Rest shooter, the technique of "machine gunning" was developed. Since you can't go back and forth to your spotting scope without the possibility of being caught by a condition change, you would look for a condition that might "hold" and then get your shots off as quickly as possible.

I don't know how well that might work for you, so "Good Luck."