Sizing simulated targets accuratly

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Luke Victoria

Sizing simulated targets accuratly

Post by Luke Victoria »

Hello
I have created a space in my garage where I can dry fire practice.Pistol
The distance from gun to target will be about 6.5 meters.
I would like to know what mathematical formula is used to determine black spot/ring size to accurately simulate 10 meter Air, 25 meter Standard and 50 meter Free pistol ISSF targets.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Luke van der Meulen
David Levene

Re: Sizing simulated targets accuratly

Post by David Levene »

If you're only talking about dry firing then all you need to worry about is the size of the black.

That is simply calculated as the original black diameter, divided by the original distance, multiplied by the actual distance.

For dry fire you don't need to worry about the scoring rings, so you don't need to include the pellet/bullet diameter in the calculation.
ZD

Post by ZD »

You could also download the software for SCATT (software is free)). There is an option to print a target (you can do this without the hardware) and you can select your discipline and the distance you will be using it. SCATT will rescale the target; you can also print it so it only shows black and no rings which is what I would recommend. If you want to do this and have any questions, let me know and I will be happy to help.

-Zach
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ZD wrote:You could also download the software for SCATT (software is free)).
This is a good option for dry firing.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Just add trig and/or pythagoras.

L = 10m
l = 6.5m
2D = .155m
2d = ?

This will work too:

Edit:

With Air Rifle black being 30.5mm vs Air Pistol being 59.5mm they are equivalent in size at 5.13m. Worth considering if you want to shoot at that range.
Image Image
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Scan an original target, figure out what percentage of the original distance 6.5 is, and print accordingly.... for example....

My dri-firing distance is 40 feet, and I shoot indoor gallery at 50'. 40' is eighty percent of 50', so I scan the 50' target, and modify the printing to 80%..... voila!