Question on NY pistol laws from a Canadian

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Pyroman

Question on NY pistol laws from a Canadian

Post by Pyroman »

So, I have a BATF form 6NIA and I enjoy going to matches in the USA. Geezers at clubs near the border keep telling me "Yup, we used to go to matches in New York. But the new SAFE act makes all our GSPs & Pardinis 'assault weapons' so we don't go." Can people from NY chime in and tell me if this is complete and utter malarkey or is it a real concern?
TomAmlie

Re: Question on NY pistol laws from a Canadian

Post by TomAmlie »

According to the NYS "Safe Act", an "assault weapon" includes a semi-automatic pistol with the capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside the pistol grip.

I don't know of any "exemption" list that has been created.

http://www.nypdcea.org/pdfs/NYSP_Safe_A ... _Guide.pdf
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

The OP poses a good question and I don't have the answer. Those in the state that have the "assault" pistols like the Hammerli 280 and Benelli did not have to do anything, since they are already on licenses. So NY resident shooters are not really affected until trying to transfer. The normal "spirit" of the prior law allowed for firearms owners to pass through the state and to attend sanctioned matches with guns legally owned outside the state. I don't know how the SAFE act may have changed that "spirit." I would err on the side of caution and probably not bring such firearms into the state without a written copy of something from an authoritative source.

Sorry I wasn't of more help. If I do find an answer, I'll post a source to this thread.
Pyroman

Post by Pyroman »

Hmmm. My GSP tricked out for NRA sounds like a no-no. My MG-2 for ISSF is probably a no-no, but too weird for any law enforcement officer to readily identify as Assault-like. And my SSP? Probably also too unconventional? The magazine doesn't go ahead of the trigger... Maybe I'll only shoot Free Pistol until I can get to the bottom of this.
Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible »

Pyroman wrote:Hmmm. My GSP tricked out for NRA sounds like a no-no. My MG-2 for ISSF is probably a no-no, but too weird for any law enforcement officer to readily identify as Assault-like. And my SSP? Probably also too unconventional? The magazine doesn't go ahead of the trigger... Maybe I'll only shoot Free Pistol until I can get to the bottom of this.
Don't listen to any of us, we could be wrong, read the law for yourself. All the New York penal codes for firearms/weapons fall under Penal Code 265 (available on many websites). Pay particular attention to 265.00 (definitions) section 22.c which defines what pistols are "Assault Weapons", 265.02 (possession of bad things), 265.10 section 2 (transport of said bad things), and 265.20 section 7-f (exemptions to 265.02 and 265.10, and other penal codes). I'm no lawyer or legal adviser or any other such person, just someone who actually read the laws in New York when I lived there instead of going by what everyone else says and is often wrong about. I may have missed something, so do more research for yourself. There are a few places in New York, especially downstate, where they don't care what the law says and make up their own rules so be careful. I'd contact the county sheriff for where you plan on shooting and see what they say. I'm not giving legal advice, just trying to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Justin Tracy