eGun access problem?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

FredB

eGun access problem?

Post by FredB »

Is anyone else having a problem accessing eGun lately? I haven't been able to get through to the website for several weeks now, using two different browsers. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is in my computer or my internet service, because it's hard to believe eGun itself could be down for so long.
TomAmlie

Re: eGun access problem?

Post by TomAmlie »

Works fine for me....
rmca

Post by rmca »

Works for me.

Sometimes the translator they use on the site is a bit iffy. Try to log in in German and see if it helps.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Thanks guys, obviously the problem is at my end, as I feared. I always use the site in German, so that's not it. I figured that lack of access with two different browsers means that my computer is working OK, but maybe it's not. Does anyone with more computer/internet savvy than me (meaning just about everybody!) have any idea of what could be causing the problem? Specifically, the site will simply not load and eventually times out.
Thanks for any help,
FredB
rmca

Post by rmca »

Ok, let's start with the basics:

You can access other sites using the same browser, like target talk for example? And can you navigate those sites normally?

Second, what browsers are you using?
william

Post by william »

I contacted the admin, and within an hour they sent me a new p/w. Problem solved.

It helps to have taken German in school.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Update on this strange problem.

First, thanks to everyone who attempted to help, especially Slofyr (offline). To sum up, this morning, and for the previous couple of weeks, I could not access eGun on my main computer (Windows 7) using either Firefox or Explorer, even though both browsers could access without difficulty any other site I wanted. Only eGun was inaccessible. Then today I dragged out my old Windows XP laptop and, using Firefox, immediately accessed eGun. A few minutes later, I found I could now get through on my main computer using Firefox, but NOT using Explorer (no great loss there as I hate Explorer, but still it seems weird). It's almost like my computers are following quantum mechanics behavior where something happening on one causes the same thing to happen on the other, even though the two are not connected. Of course they are sharing the same WiFi internet access point, but I don't see why that would matter. This is all way beyond my understanding. There are lots of other experiments I can imagine trying, but my brain and patience are overloaded, and, at least temporarily, I have the result I wanted.
Thanks again,
FredB

Update to the update:

When my main computer finally could connect with eGun, I had the site up on the screen of my laptop. Now I find that, with the laptop shut down and back in storage, my main computer again will not access eGun. Anyone with a degree in internet voodoo have a theory?
rmca

Post by rmca »

When you say that you cannot access eGun, do you mean that you type the address in your browser and nothing happens or that you cannot log in using your username/password?

From what you wrote, the problem seems specific to your "main" computer.

For starters try cleaning the temporary files on your windows and browsers. That usually solves most problems.
For windows 7 type (or copy paste) "cleanmgr" on the search field on your start menu. That will start the system disk cleaner. It may take a bit to finnish.
In your browsers it should be under the "tools" menu.
For IE it's -» tools (dent wheel on top right corner) -» security -» Erase... or simply press the Ctrl+Shift+Del

Also, is your windows is updated?
You do have some sort of anti-virus, anti-malware software installed and updated?

It's kind or hard trying to diagnose something over the web using just words, but let´s see if any of this helps.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Sorry to take up more space with my problem, but I do need to ask a general question. By process of elimination I've deduced that the inability to make contact with eGun seems to have only one common thread: computers running fully updated Windows 7 from my location. Since a Windows XP computer can make contact from the same location, my general question is, does everyone else using fully updated Windows 7 have the ability to contact eGun? Just to clarify, this is not about logging in, it's about simply reaching the site.
Thanks for listening, and thanks to Pilkguns for providing this forum!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

FredB wrote:does everyone else using fully updated Windows 7 have the ability to contact eGun?
No problem from the UK: Win7 and Chrome
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

It's been a long time since I've used Windows, so this might be totally useless, but just in case:

It seems to me that there used to be a place in Internet Options, where you could post site addresses to block them from being accessed. Is there a Win 7 version? If so, where is that located? Could that be the trouble?
rmca

Post by rmca »

FredB wrote:does everyone else using fully updated Windows 7 have the ability to contact eGun?
Windows 7 updated and IE plus Chrome working great.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Ed Hall wrote:It's been a long time since I've used Windows, so this might be totally useless, but just in case:

It seems to me that there used to be a place in Internet Options, where you could post site addresses to block them from being accessed. Is there a Win 7 version? If so, where is that located? Could that be the trouble?
Thanks for the thought, Ed, but 2 different unlinked computers running updated Windows 7 cannot make contact with only the eGun site, using the latest Firefox or Internet Explorer. One (unlinked) computer running Windows XP has no trouble connecting with eGun using the latest Firefox. That's why I deduced that Windows 7 might be at the root of the problem, but it's highly unlikely both Windows 7 computers would have the same inadvertent site blocking. I checked Internet Options on mine and found no sites blocked. However there are many settings under the Advanced tab that possibly could interact with a unique site. I've never altered these settings (wouldn't know what I was doing) and, in any case, that doesn't explain why this problem suddenly started a couple of weeks ago (on my computer - don't know about the other one) when it never had occurred before. Or why the problem suddenly disappeared for 1 or 2 days in the middle of the 2 weeks, and then suddenly reappeared.

I'm now just resigned to using the XP computer for eGun, and waiting for the computer/internet gremlins to move on to something else. Again, sorry for wasting space and time on this, and many thanks to those who tried to help.

FredB
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

One other option to try that comes to mind:

What happens if you go to an anonymous site like

Anonymouse.org

and try to go to eguns from there?
FredB

Post by FredB »

Ed Hall wrote:One other option to try that comes to mind:

What happens if you go to an anonymous site like

Anonymouse.org

and try to go to eguns from there?
Bingo!! That works, although it looks like I'd have to buy their "VIP" option in order to log in. I get an error message from anonymouse when I try logging in to eGun.

So what does it mean that an anonymous connection is possible? Is there something I can correct in my computer to make anonymouse unnecessary? And why is it necessary only for Windows 7 computers and not for Windows XP?

Thank you, Ed!!
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Maybe it could be a DNS problem with your ISP.

You could temporarily change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google public DNS) on your router. If that is successful then you should immediately change it back to the default (obtain automatically) and you know the issue.

It could also be a MTU issue if you're on ADSL.

Egun also could have been blocked on your network as well by your local sysadmin/pesky kid.

Could be a number of things, in short.
Image Image
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

This is tough FredB, but let's go a couple steps further:

First, use <windows key> + r to bring up a box you can type "cmd" into (without the quotes) and hit Enter
Next, type:

Code: Select all

ping www.eguns.com
and hit Enter

You should get four tries and four responses from eguns. This will show that Windows is capable of reaching eguns. If this doesn't work, the trouble is in the OS or the router.

If the above does work try IE again and go to the gearhead (upper right, I think) and choose "Internet Options" > "Advanced" tab > "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" (Maybe you already tried this.)

A couple more thoughts/questions:

- Are you using a single router and/or a separate one (wired vs. wireless) for your two machines?

- Is it possible that a setting in IE was transferred to Firefox when you installed it, and going back and forth is somehow keeping the setting in the wrong state, even though you change it in one of the browsers?

Best I can do for now... more later, if necessary...
FredB

Post by FredB »

Ed Hall wrote:This is tough FredB, but let's go a couple steps further:

First, use <windows key> + r to bring up a box you can type "cmd" into (without the quotes) and hit Enter
Next, type "ping http://www.eguns.com" (without the quotes) and hit Enter

You should get four tries and four responses from eguns. This will show that Windows is capable of reaching eguns. If this doesn't work, the trouble is in the OS or the router.

If the above does work try IE again and go to the gearhead (upper right, I think) and choose "Internet Options" > "Advanced" tab > "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" (Maybe you already tried this.)

A couple more thoughts/questions:

- Are you using a single router and/or a separate one (wired vs. wireless) for your two machines?

- Is it possible that a setting in IE was transferred to Firefox when you installed it, and going back and forth is somehow keeping the setting in the wrong state, even though you change it in one of the browsers?

Best I can do for now... more later, if necessary...
Ed, thanks for the further help!

The ping request got this response: "Ping request could not find host http://www.eguns.de. Please check the name and try again." (Note that eGuns has a .de suffix rather than .com, but I did try both.)

All 3 computers here connect to the internet by a WiFi signal from a Verizon Jetpack, which is basically a cell phone receiver and Wifi transmitter. No computer was having any problem connecting to eGun three or so weeks ago. Now the two Windows 7 computers won't connect, but the Window XP computer connects without a problem. It seems to me that would indicate the problem has to be in the OS of both, but other TTers have said they have no problem with Windows 7. If it were just with one computer, a setting or error in the OS would be likely, but how could this happen simultaneously to the OS on two completely separate computers?

Anonymouse.org lets you see your "calling card" without and with using anonymouse. The only difference in the "without anonymouse" calling cards of the computer that can reach eGun and the two that can't, seems to be in the operating system. The computer with "(Windows NT 5.1; rv:35.0)" can connect and the two with "(Windows NT 6.1; WOW 64; rv:35.0)" will not connect.

I sent an email to webmaster@egun.de trying to explain the problem. Don't know if that is the correct way to contact the correct person, but at least the email didn't bounce.

Unfortunately, to be continued....
rmca

Post by rmca »

FredB

Since you can reach egun using the windows xp laptop that means that your internet connection is ok.

The fact that your windows 7 cannot ping egun AND your connection is ok, it means that your windows 7 is using a different dns server than your windows XP.
In simple terms, the dns server is the one that converts your http://www.something.com to an ip address requeried for the internet provider to direct your request to the server you are looking for (in this case egun)

Check if the dns address is the same on both your xp and win7.

It should be.
rmca

Post by rmca »

To check the dns for windows xp http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553

For windows 7 http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/is ... +Windows+7

Hope this helps