Anshutz 2002 Super Air vs. Hammerli AR20

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JMicikas

Anshutz 2002 Super Air vs. Hammerli AR20

Post by JMicikas »

Folks:

I'm new to the forum and air gunning. I am shooting 10m rifle at a club level with a Crossman Challenger 2000, but looking to get a different gun.

I have a choice of a Anshutz 2002 Super Air (SSL) or a Hammerli AR20 (PCP). I realize that with th Hammerli I'll need to get a compressor and scuba tank to charge the gun. Either gun will cost approx. $800.00

I'd appreciate your input on which gun would be the better choice and why. By the way, I'm old and will never shoot at higher than local clubs.

Thanks for your advise.

Joe
Rover

Re: Anshutz 2002 Super Air vs. Hammerli AR20

Post by Rover »

Forget the Hammerli, the accessories will cost you. At least with the Anschutz you'll get a little much needed exercise. There will be NO difference in performance between the two.
abinok

Post by abinok »

Joe,
One of the rifles you've listed was designed and built to win an olympic medal. The other was designed as a basic starter rifle. The crosman you're shooting, and the ar20 you're considering both enjoy the convience of pcp, but trade a lot to the anschutz for it. Trigger, pure accuracy... all anschutz. I sought after a ar20 to replace my crosman, which itself replaced a late model ssp. I decided to hold out, and waited for a walther lg300xt. If i had it to do again... i would have stuck with the ssp, and skipped the crosman and hammerli all together.
william

Post by william »

Just curious - why not consider a FWB? It seems there is always a 600 series on offer from a reputable seller.
JMicikas

Post by JMicikas »

William:

I've not ruled out an FWB. It's just that Anschutz and Hammerli are available now. I'll do a search for an FWB. I f a FWB is available how does it compare to the Anschutz 2002 Super Air.

Abinok and Rover:

Thank you your your comments.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If you are going for the accuracy, the Anschutz is the better ... AR20 is a beginner precision type rifle.
Stay away from the SSLs if you are doing any 3P
Unless you are going to die w/o a rifle ... have a bit of patience and wait for a Anschutz, FWB, Walther PCP to come along.
Used is fine ... keep watching this Buy & Sell board ... I'll bet one comes up in less than a few weeks
mmajora

Post by mmajora »

My vote for Anschutz (however, FWBs are more reliable).
I use and have access to both, and AR20 is just plain rifle. Crappy triger not very well housed, hard cocking, plastic, and it's really light vs Asnchutz. Centre of gravity is like more closer to shooter than in Anschutz. The difference between these two is about 400 g. I must admit that it does have decent barrel anyway. Maybe it is similar to LG30, but if I had a choice which one, would grab Walther.
Andre

Post by Andre »

My thoughts on the 2002sa vs the FWB 700alu, I prefer the feel and balance of the 700. The anschutz is a real solid gun, but the 700 takes the cake. I'd also like to think the FWB trigger is better, but I have only shot the 2002sa briefly for fun and didn't really notice it nor messed with the adjustments like I have the 700. Accuracy should be comparable, but as I said I never really tested the 2002sa.

If you can find a FWB I'd go for it, you'll still be very happy with an anschutz, its in another world from the challenger
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I would look for a well looked after second hand rifle from Anschutz/FWB/Walther be that SSP or PCP, depending on budget. I would stay away from a modern Hammerli, they are just higher priced Umarex made guns these days. For air I would suggest Walther LG300xt, FWB 700, Anschutz in that order for the PCP's and probably the same order of preference for the SSP rifles.

Alan