Fitting of shooting glasses

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jpa

Fitting of shooting glasses

Post by jpa »

Hi,
I've been starting to look around for shooting glasses as I'm pretty sure that an iris would help with my ageing eyesight, and I wonder about the fit of these frames, especially as I might well be buying second-hand.

Particularly, I notice that Knobloch glasses are available with different length earpieces, from 150 to 180mm. I was wondering where these measurements are taken, and what is the best way to determine the best length for me?

Also, does anyone have any specific recommendations for one's first shooting glasses?

I'm short sighted, and my regular prescription is about -2 dioptres in my right, dominant eye, if I remember correctly. I'm in my early 50's, and I have noticed that my eyes don't really accommodate different focal lengths any more. With my regular glasses on, my focus is basically at infinity, which is too far to allow me to focus properly on the sights. Without glasses, my natural focus is around the distance of the pistol, so I can get a good sight picture. The target is very indistinct like this though, and I'm very prone to the illusion where the bottom of the black moves upwards.

Any thoughts and advice would be very welcome, thanks! :)
Ed Hall

Re: Fitting of shooting glasses

Post by Ed Hall »

Dr. Norman Wong wrote several articles on vision in regards to shooting. Some were published in NRA media, but I also have many of them at the following site:

Dr. Norman Wong Articles as posted to the Bullseye List

Perhaps you can find some useful info among them. There is one particularly good document to forward to your eyecare person when looking for their help.
jpa

Re: Fitting of shooting glasses

Post by jpa »

Lots of interesting reading there, thanks!