ISSF supported seminar on Mental training for shooters

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

androjean

ISSF supported seminar on Mental training for shooters

Post by androjean »

We are holding an on line interactive seminar on sports psychology for shooters on April 11th this year.
Full details are available on the booking site www.nsraconference.co.uk. You will need to scroll down to be able to download the full programme.
The live conference is being held at the Royal Society of Medicine in London. They have excellent systems in place for streamlining conferences so you can access from anywhere. The demonstration then be archived and you can access after the event at a time convenient for you.
£100 British pounds.
Organised by the British NSRA with the,support of the ISSF.
GaryD

Re: ISSF supported seminar on Mental training for shooters

Post by GaryD »

I personally think this will be worth taking a look at.

How often does a Club Shooter get a chance of finding out what goes on with the training of the Elite Shooters.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

But £200 or more to attend a one day seminar is a bit steep though. I know members can get it down to £150 if they book early. I think £100 for watching the video is a right royal rip off though.

Alan
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Al,
But £200 or more to attend a one day seminar is a bit steep though. I know members can get it down to £150 if they book early. I think £100 for watching the video is a right royal rip off though.
It depends on the quality of the presentation and what you think it might be worth to you. If I were setting out on the road to Tokyo or maybe earlier in my coaching career and somewhat less long in the tooth I might consider it worth it. However at my advanced years it probably isn't worth it as I don't have any difficulty in putting stray thoughts out of my mind as I've probably forgotten what they were anyway!

Yes, it does "appear" expensive but in shooting in the UK we do get things on the cheap. Take a look at the cost of instructor\coaching courses in other sports and you will soon see what I mean. You will be lucky to find a Level 1 qualification; roughly equivalent to Club Instructor; for less that £400-500. We expect to pay £90-100.

Rutty
robf

Post by robf »

Rutty wrote:Al,
It depends on the quality of the presentation and what you think it might be worth to you. If I were setting out on the road to Tokyo or maybe earlier in my coaching career and somewhat less long in the tooth I might consider it worth it. However at my advanced years it probably isn't worth it as I don't have any difficulty in putting stray thoughts out of my mind as I've probably forgotten what they were anyway!

Yes, it does "appear" expensive but in shooting in the UK we do get things on the cheap. Take a look at the cost of instructor\coaching courses in other sports and you will soon see what I mean. You will be lucky to find a Level 1 qualification; roughly equivalent to Club Instructor; for less that £400-500. We expect to pay £90-100.

Rutty
Agreed.

Going from 0 to take people I work with up to national level has been done for the same amount of money as what other sports do for stage 1. Shooting often seems to have some issue with paying for things that aren't shiny and go bang.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

I do agree with Rutty that we except training on the cheap in the UK and robf is correct in what he says about us spending a lot of money on the shiny bits.

Perhaps we should be also concentrating on the other aspects of training.

I for one will be attending via the on line/webcast as for me personally to go go London would involve an overnight stay which would add considerably to the overall cost.

I like Rutty are in my advanced years but if I can learn anything from the Seminar that I can pass onto some up and coming younger shooters, then it will be money well spent.
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

The mental side of the sport is extremely important and increases in importance the higher up the ladder you go.

Many people can coach others as they have been there and done it but the mental side is a different kettle of fish. Not many people are qualified Psychologists and so any insight into this important side of things is great.

I don't think the cost is too bad. I go to and send people on 1 day courses for my work and they average about £400 - £500.

My wife is 'attending' the on-line version and she is a qualified Psychologist.

Just my 2p or 2c worth!
tufty

Post by tufty »

Would have loved to go to this,but it clashes with the Scottish Open,which I had already booked,and the North Wales Open
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

tufty wrote:Would have loved to go to this,but it clashes with the Scottish Open,which I had already booked,and the North Wales Open
.....and the ATSC Open, and the SERPS training camp, and the Cambridge .177 Open.

If ever there was a bad weekend to choose in the UK for pistol shooters, this is it.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Did anyone go to this?

I have not heard of any feedback from it. Don't get me wrong I am not after free information, just wondering why it's all gone quiet.