TAU 7 - its CO2 cylinders and options...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jpa

TAU 7 - its CO2 cylinders and options...

Post by jpa »

Hi,
A few years ago I gave my son who lives in the UK my TAU-7 CO2 pistol. It hasn't been used since then, mostly because whilst he was able to take the pistol on his flight, the 0,2 litre CO2 bottle wasn't allowed.

I have a trip to the UK coming up fairly soon and I thought I'd take the CO2 bottle with me for him, as I'll be travelling overland. I just found the bottle, and the date stamp is 11/96. There is still CO2 inside but obviously once that is gone no-one is going to fill it up. I was wondering if it is possible to have these small bottles re-certified?

Also, how about the reservoir in the pistol itself, surely that must come under the same legislation?

Reading around these forums I notice that it appears to be possible to use the small disposable CO2 bulbs with this pistol, and that has sparked a memory that there was something about this in the booklet that came with the gun.

Would this be a better alternative, and should there be everything that he would need for this already there with the pistol? I don't really remember now but there might have been some sort of adapter? Anyway, he has everything that originally came with the pistol in the original case, apart from the external CO2 bottle.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, I'd like to get him interested and able to use the thing :D
jhmartin

Re: TAU 7 - its CO2 cylinders and options...

Post by jhmartin »

The Tau-7s run on the 12 gram cylinders by default ... just need the solid piercing endcap.
Using the large external cylinder I've never been able to make work anyway.
jpa

Post by jpa »

Thanks for the reply. The ones sold here - at least back then - were configured to fill from the bottle. I suppose the factory might have configured the final assembly according to the export territory. I don't think the disposable 12g CO2 bulbs were widely available here then.

It sounds like the disposable ones are the way to go though, I'm sure they are very easy to get in the UK. I've even seen them here now too. Thanks again.
yana

Post by yana »

Bulbs are WAY better than bulkfill. Bulkfill is terrible to get a good fill.
Just buy a piercer cap, can be bought at Tau directly if you wish, throw in a bunch of bulbs and enjoy.
I doubt by the way that the cilinders need retesting, as they're not attached to the gun, and you fill them yrself from a mastertank.
Same for the Tau's reservoir; its permanently attached, so no testing there, not even possible.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

I've had no problem at all bulk filling our group's Tau 7 Jr. Mostly having the right adapter, a bulk tank with a siphon tube and a little patience. I don't think we've ever shot it with the little bulbs or cartridges. We get 40 to 50 shots per fill from the 250 gram cylinder. And doxens of fills from the cylinder (bomba, in the Tau manuals). :)

The ten year thing is an ISSF rule. Not applicable to personal or club shooting. Rent or beg a bulk tank & get the CGA valve on top with a siphone tube and you're set.

Ours has an interesting trigger. It's the opposite of crisp. Like squeezing a spring and the gun fires (or CO2s, whatever) with no hint of a catch before it goes off.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey