Travelling on Airplane with an Air Pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jjgun

Travelling on Airplane with an Air Pistol

Post by jjgun »

Can anybody give me advice about travelling on an airplane with an air pistol? Is special paperwork needed. Can I use a regular lock or do I have to use a TSA lock when checking it? What about the air cylinders? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Shooter

Re: Travelling on Airplane with an Air Pistol

Post by Shooter »

It is really not that much of a problem for air pistols. Use a TSA lock if you can to hopefully reduce their interest. just tell the ticket person that you have an air pistol and they will have it checked by TSA. Of course, it is NOT loaded. I have not had any trouble with air rifle about air cylinders, since mine does not have a screw in one but it is built into the gun. You can try to leave it on the pistol, with no air and say it is part of the gun. But,, they may insist that it be removed and not stay with the gun. Then, it would have to be shipped by UPS but you would not have time to do it then. So, it may be better to send it on ahead anyway. I have nor heard much about this issue lately so I am not sure how it is handled. Get to the airport a little early so that you have time to do all this. Most TSA people have not seen target gear, so you may have to educate them somewhat. i always get a kick out of explaining about my sb and air rifles when I travel. Put the can of pellets in your suitcase just to make them happy. Good luck and have fun. Don in Oregon
m1963

Post by m1963 »

If you follow the rules, it is an easy thing to do. All rules posted here:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information ... ammunition
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

jjgun wrote:Can anybody give me advice about travelling on an airplane with an air pistol? Is special paperwork needed. Can I use a regular lock or do I have to use a TSA lock when checking it? What about the air cylinders? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Depends on where you are travelling from, and where to.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Assuming you're in the US, treat it just like a normal pistol: hard-sided, locked case; declared to the ticket counter agent at check-in.

Also, assuming that you're in the US, use a non-TSA lock. Otherwise you aren't in compliance with the part about only you having the key/combination.
conradin

Post by conradin »

mtncwru wrote: Also, assuming that you're in the US, use a non-TSA lock. Otherwise you aren't in compliance with the part about only you having the key/combination.
Would you please explain a bit more?
sparky

Post by sparky »

conradin wrote:
mtncwru wrote: Also, assuming that you're in the US, use a non-TSA lock. Otherwise you aren't in compliance with the part about only you having the key/combination.
Would you please explain a bit more?
To prevent theft by airline baggage folks and others who might acquire a TSA lock key, you're not supposed to put a TSA lock on firearms cases. Instead, you declare it, they put a tag *inside* the case, you lock it up, then they send it down the baggage chute. I would recommend putting a tag or piece of tape with your cell phone number on it so if there are any questions, TSA folks can contact you. I also would hang around the baggage check area until after it makes its way past the baggage folks.

I'd probably just leave the tank on and declare it as a firearm and not mention that it's a air gun unless they bring it up.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Sparky's pertty much got it. I've been through several US airports and not had any real problems, even with detached air cylinders. More curiuos questions than anything. Trenton NJ, the TSA gal asked me if it was unloaded, handed me the tag and said just put it on the belt once it's locked. Never even looked at the pistol. In Atlanta, the gal wanted me to stand back six feet. Newark, I couldn't even be in the room while the flunky played with all the team guns & fooled around with them. They all got to the match, even if not packed as well as I had them.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey