Um...Finally

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Um...Finally

Post by conradin »

After two and a half years of first touching a pistol (or 27 months since touching a firearm of ANY sort), yesterday (veterans day) I finally officially picked up a borrowed a 10/22 rifle and learned how to shoot it. Three hours, four positions and 400 rounds later, I found it fascinating. While I toyed with an air rifle for the sake of helping me shoot a match crossbow, shooting a rifle (.22lr) is quite different. I also confirmed that I am indeed a leftie (cross sighted). Dr Norman Wong was not joking when he said no matter how he made my right eye lens, my right eye (though it is the master) will never be as good as my left.
I don't know whether this is embarrassment or something to be proud. I still need to learn how to do sitting and bench rest, plus the use of a sling. I discovered that I loved the kneeing position. For the first two hours I completely missed the target. Then I realized I need to completely forget about my pistol training, especially how to form the sight picture and where to aim, and suddenly it clicked. Nothing spectacular, 50 feet with all shots landed sightly larger than the size of a Susan B Anthony.
I do have to admit, pistol is A LOT HARDER. The experienced guys on this board were not joking. Indeed my error on trigger control magnified the results, and adjustment on the trigger control created a tight group.
My uniform consists of a $50 1980s Sauer Jacket, and a $40 no name 40 years old shooting boots got it from Romania. Regular glasses (non bifocal) that I wear every day. A cheap blinder for my right eye that clip on my regular glasses. Ear plugs (with almost 24 piercings headset is now impossible for me to use). Total cost is somewhere around $120. Half way I did not even need the jacket anymore. The mat was pretty beaten up so on prone my elbows were on the hard floor. Many thanks to my instructor. Now I need to translate this iron sight technique into my air rifle, which in turns need to translate into 10M armbrust.
Being a leftie does have a learning advantage in which I can minic anyone as if it were a mirror.
Oh, thank you for the guys in the rifle forum, the advice over the past year helped!
Of course, nothing can UN-compress better than training a CFP match on my own afterwards. It was a blast. one particular bullet went through the Bulls and cut the string that holds the targets in half..that will NEVER happen to a .22lr...LOL.
Last edited by conradin on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Re: Um...Finally

Post by Erud »

conradin wrote:After two and a half years of first touching a pistol (or 27 months since touching a firearm of ANY sort), yesterday (veterans day) I finally officially picked up a borrowed a 10/22 rifle and learned how to shoot it. Three hours, four positions and 400 rounds later, I found it fascinating. While I toyed with an air rifle for the sake of helping me shoot a match crossbow, shooting a rifle (.22lr) is quite different. I also confirmed that I am indeed a leftie (cross sighted). Dr Norman Wong was not joking when he said no matter how he made my right eye lens, my right eye (though it is the master) will never be as good as my left.
I don't know whether this is embarrassment or something to be proud. I still need to learn how to do sitting and bench rest, plus the use of a sling. I discovered that I loved the kneeing position. For the first two hours I completely missed the target. Then I realized I need to completely forget about my pistol training, especially how to form the sight picture and where to aim, and suddenly it clicked. Nothing spectacular, 50 feet with all shots landed sightly larger than the size of a Susan B Anthony.
I do have to admit, pistol is A LOT HARDER. The experienced guys on this board were not joking. Indeed my error on trigger control magnified the results, and adjustment on the trigger control created a tight group.
My uniform consists of a $50 1980s Sauer Jacket, and a $40 no name 40 years old shooting boots got it from Romania. Regular glasses (non bifocal) that I wear every day. A cheap blinder for my right eye that clip on my regular glasses. Ear plugs (with almost 24 piercings headset is now impossible for me to use). Total cost is somewhere around $120. Half way I did not even need the jacket anymore. The mat was pretty beaten up so on prone my elbows were on the hard floor. Many thanks to my instructor. Now I need to translate this iron sight technique into my air rifle, which in turns need to translate into 10M armbrust.
Being a leftie does have a learning advantage in which I can minic anyone as if it were a mirror.
Oh, thank you for the guys in the rifle forum, the advice over the past year helped!
Of course, nothing can UN-compress after shooting rifle than having a CFP match on my own It was a blast.

Yup, nothing to it! Sounds like you've already got it mastered!
renzo

Post by renzo »

Have you given any thought to the fact that - if you cater to rifle shooting - Rover will be left with no one around to pester?

Hope you reevaluate things............................
william

Post by william »

You shouldn't have let on that you're a lefty. Rover will probably jump down your throat for not being a dyed-in-the-wool conservative.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

william wrote:You shouldn't have let on that you're a lefty. Rover will probably jump down your throat for not being a dyed-in-the-wool conservative.
If you could see the Sh%t eating grin on my face! Thank you for the best laugh of my week.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Conradin being from San Francisco, what am I supposed to think?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:Conradin being from San Francisco, what am I supposed to think?
Oakland.