different 3P targets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ltdave

different 3P targets

Post by Ltdave »

at my club where my daughter shoots, they use the A-17 target for smallbore (50') matches...

we just shot at a match that had 50yd targets reduced for 50ft. i THINK it was the metric 50yd (meter?) target...

is there no standard target to use for 3P?

we want to start having matches at our club but i dont want to use the wrong targets. the A-17 is much easier than the 50yd/50ft (which requires a good system like Orion to score pin dot 10s)...

just trying to get as much info as i can...
Pat McCoy

Re: different 3P targets

Post by Pat McCoy »

It all depends on which rules you want to shoot under. At 50 feet the NRA four position is usually on the A17, while NRA 3 position ( International) was on the A36.

50 foot USA Shooting matches are on the USA/NRA 50 target. Many clubs have gone strictly to this target to save costs and storage space.

Scoring plugs are available for these, however differ sometimes between targets.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Pat McCoy wrote:the NRA four position
Forgive my ignorance... but what are those four positions?
I´m familiar with ISSF's 3 positions, but I didn't know there was a forth?

Thanks!
Scott J

Post by Scott J »

In NRA , the positions are Prone, Offhand(standing), Kneeling and Sitting, shot in that order. Most of the 3 position shooting is on the USAS-50 targets, I don't know if there is much done on the A-36's anymore. But I've been wrong before. :-)

Scott
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

The A-36 target is obsolete and has been replaced by the NRA/USAS-50 for all NRA 3P competition.

I know of no other place than the USA where sitting is shot competitively.

NRA Rule 5.8 Sitting - Weight of the body supported on the buttocks and the feet or ankles, no other portion of the body touching the ground. The rifle will be supported by both hands and one shoulder only. Elbows may rest on the legs at any point above the ankles. (The elbow is defined as 4 inches from the point of the arm when bent.)
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Hap Rocketto wrote: I know of no other place than the USA where sitting is shot competitively.
Field Target Air Rifle permits the sitting position, along with the other three - unless a peg is marked as having to be shot using a specific position in which case you obviously have to adopt that position.

Bit different to ISSF and NRA shooting, but there are a few-and-far-apart examples of competitive shooting from the sitting position.
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Hemmers,

Thanks for the enlightenment, I am not at all familiar with the Field Target Air Rifle discipline.

It is always a good day when one leans something new.

Regards,

Hap