Need help choosing

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

emoky

Need help choosing

Post by emoky »

So 1 month ago i got into target shooting at a local shooting club, i personally like it meanwhile and enjoy shooting.
I've shot rifle and pistol but the thing is i have to choose with which one to continue, i currently am leaning more towards Air Pistol (10m btw)
mainly because:
1. It's more unique (In my opinion, in my club atleast), there are very few people shooting Pistol in my club and im one of the only young people shooting pistol (i am 15)
2. It's not all about where you put the sights but how, keeping them aligned, horizontally and vertically, front sight and back sight as compared to Air Rifle where it's just about putting the circle inside the circle as in the middle as possible (still very hard)
3. Feels more rewarding, in Air Rifle you have boots, clothes and gloves while in Pistol it's only you and the Pistol, feels more rewarding knowing that you did it alone without the help of special clothes and stuff (no offense)
4. Feels more relaxed, in Air Rifle, all the clothes, the Rifle on you, putting your cheek on the Rifle, the standing pose, it's all so closed and uncomfortable while in Air Pistol your open and comfortable (in my opinion no offense)5
5. Shooting is more fun, enjoying the "kick" in your hand, letting your hand shake because of the weight of the pistol :)
But there's something still attracting me in Air Rifle, the fact that's it's more recognized as the "Shooting" sport, you immediately see a Rifle rather than a Pistol.
Very dumb topic but i just felt like i needed to write this before going to sleep.
Pat McCoy

Re: Need help choosing

Post by Pat McCoy »

Why do you need to choose one? Your choice should be dependant on your goals for shooting. if you want to try for a collegiate team, or become a national champion, or perhaps aspire to the US Shooting team, you may need to "specialize" (however Nick Mowerer seems to do fine having bee originally a moving target athlet, then changes to pistol, and now has a Championship medal in prone rifle.

2: Sight alignment and hold are just as important with rifle as pistol, Perhaps more so when shooing at a 1mm dor on the rilfe target rather than the "ten circle" on the air pistol target.

3.&4: All the clothing is optional in air rifle. Try it without the boots, pants, and only a light weight jacket and simple lined leather winter driving glove if you want less "constriction" in your rifle shooting (as well as as more satisfying result knowing you were not using artificial support to achieve your outcomes).

5: kick? With air pistol?

Bigger reasons to specialize are availability of club equipment, availability of certified coaches in the disciplines, availability of local competition (to help keep you inspired), availability of larger matches within reasonable driving distance. You may find making a chart of these for pistol and another for rifle will help point you in one direction.

Good luck.
emoky

Post by emoky »

Pat McCoy wrote:Why do you need to choose one? Your choice should be dependant on your goals for shooting. if you want to try for a collegiate team, or become a national champion, or perhaps aspire to the US Shooting team, you may need to "specialize" (however Nick Mowerer seems to do fine having bee originally a moving target athlet, then changes to pistol, and now has a Championship medal in prone rifle.

2: Sight alignment and hold are just as important with rifle as pistol, Perhaps more so when shooing at a 1mm dor on the rilfe target rather than the "ten circle" on the air pistol target.

3.&4: All the clothing is optional in air rifle. Try it without the boots, pants, and only a light weight jacket and simple lined leather winter driving glove if you want less "constriction" in your rifle shooting (as well as as more satisfying result knowing you were not using artificial support to achieve your outcomes).

5: kick? With air pistol?

Bigger reasons to specialize are availability of club equipment, availability of certified coaches in the disciplines, availability of local competition (to help keep you inspired), availability of larger matches within reasonable driving distance. You may find making a chart of these for pistol and another for rifle will help point you in one direction.

Good luck.

Thanks, ignore my childish behavior i was very tired after school. I seriously don't know why i wrote so stupidly and childish this topic. excuse me. The only thing i didn't understand is the sight alignments i think that what i think i meant with sight alignments is that in air pistol you have to keep the front and back sight equal as for in air rifle the front and back sight are stable always.
I truly excuse for this childish topic. If this offended anyone please pardon me.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Certainly no offense taken. Just asking you to consider things which may be more important to your decision than those you had listed.

And you still need to keep the rifle sights aligned, just as in pistol (although it is much easier to do so due to longer distance between them.

Much of your question is difficult to answer as the answers may differ depending on your goals.
motorcycle_dan

help choosing

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Let me offer this. I know many great shooters. A great pistol shooter can shoot a rifle (any rifle) well. Way better than the average student or someone without many years of practice.

A great rifle shooter can shoot his rifle well. Might also be able to shoot aother rifle well. High power is a different skill set than Long range. Which is different yet compared to small bore or air rifle. Each one requires different specialized equipment to compete well.

Most great rifle rifle shooters CANNOT shoot pistol well. Great Pistol shooters are masters of trigger control and sight alignment. That is a skill set that can be applied to many other marksmanship sports.

An olympic class air pistol and all the equipment you need to shoot can be had for under $500. You certainly can spend more but don't NEED to.

I run an air pistol league in Central Ohio. Look for that type of club in your area
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

To get better, you want to make sure that there is available competition and coaching. Otherwise you are working in a vacuum and will find yourself spending alot of time learning things that you could have learned much quicker with a coach. Learning from books is certainly possible but it can be VERY time consuming.

The competition is important to keep you advancing and to hold your interest.

All of that said, either air pistol or air rifle will teach you important skills. If pistol interests you more, by all means go for it. I came from the rifle side, but I will be honest, I think that pistol focus and activity has improved my rifle skills alot in the past couple of months. I had stagnated with the rifle and knew that I needed to do something different for a while. Part of the benefit is that it has forced me to think about things and examine my methods.
emoky

Re: help choosing

Post by emoky »

motorcycle_dan wrote:Let me offer this. I know many great shooters. A great pistol shooter can shoot a rifle (any rifle) well. Way better than the average student or someone without many years of practice.

A great rifle shooter can shoot his rifle well. Might also be able to shoot aother rifle well. High power is a different skill set than Long range. Which is different yet compared to small bore or air rifle. Each one requires different specialized equipment to compete well.

Most great rifle rifle shooters CANNOT shoot pistol well. Great Pistol shooters are masters of trigger control and sight alignment. That is a skill set that can be applied to many other marksmanship sports.

An olympic class air pistol and all the equipment you need to shoot can be had for under $500. You certainly can spend more but don't NEED to.

I run an air pistol league in Central Ohio. Look for that type of club in your area
Thank you for your help and aswell the others. The problem i have now is more about me rather than the sport, i have a feeling that maybe im not enjoying shooting, i feel each time after shooting a feeling of lost, not satisfied the days i go to shoot are "those" days of the week that i don't like that much, i feel while shooting a joy but i'd prefer rather shoot for fun rather than for the score, on the other hand if i try to quit i already feel regret thinking about it.
conradin

Post by conradin »

First of all I don't know much about air rifle, second of all I have a beginner air rifle only to help me learn the absolute basic in long arms.
When it comes to clothing you don't really need anything special. The only "special" clothing I bought was a 1970s rifle jacket for $50. It is so comfy that I now wear it regularly. The only other equipment you need is an off hand stand, which should be under $50. If you get a non PCP/CO2 Air rifle (for example, SSP), then you don't need to buy a scuba tank. Apart from the rifle itself, all the accessories should be well under $100.

Neither the jacket nor the stand would be considered a "must have", but if you do purchase any accessories, I would suggest the most spartan purchasing plan would be those two items.

PS. Consider wearing contacts if you need glasses. Use "sticky note" as blinder by taping it on your forehead for the non master eye. Wear a sweat head band if needed....another item that is pretty cheap.
william

Post by william »

conradin wrote:First of all I don't know much about air rifle.....
Wouldn't that bit have sufficed?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

emoky wrote:
The problem i have now is more about me rather than the sport, i have a feeling that maybe im not enjoying shooting, i feel each time after shooting a feeling of lost, not satisfied
i'd prefer rather shoot for fun rather than for the score,
It sounds like you need to decide why you are shooting. What you find interesting and enjoyable about it. What are your goals for shooting. Without goals or reasons to shoot you will just float along never really enjoying it.

You can shoot for fun, the scores are just a way of challenging your self. Instead of scores you could make a list of actions it takes to make a good shot, then after each shot grade yourself on whether or not you accomplished the action. This is the real secret to doing well. Forget the outcome (score), and focus on the activity. Your goal could be to increase the percentage of shots in which you do all, or most, of the activity well.

My scores are nowhere near what they were when I was 20, but I still find a sense of accomplishment in doing the best I can with today's old eyes and body.
emoky

Post by emoky »

Pat McCoy wrote:emoky wrote:
The problem i have now is more about me rather than the sport, i have a feeling that maybe im not enjoying shooting, i feel each time after shooting a feeling of lost, not satisfied
i'd prefer rather shoot for fun rather than for the score,
It sounds like you need to decide why you are shooting. What you find interesting and enjoyable about it. What are your goals for shooting. Without goals or reasons to shoot you will just float along never really enjoying it.

You can shoot for fun, the scores are just a way of challenging your self. Instead of scores you could make a list of actions it takes to make a good shot, then after each shot grade yourself on whether or not you accomplished the action. This is the real secret to doing well. Forget the outcome (score), and focus on the activity. Your goal could be to increase the percentage of shots in which you do all, or most, of the activity well.

My scores are nowhere near what they were when I was 20, but I still find a sense of accomplishment in doing the best I can with today's old eyes and body.
yeah, you basically read my mind, i just don't know why im shooting, i enjoy the learning the mechanics of the gun, the subject of shooting, i do enjoy shooting, but maybe because of the environment, i understand it's an olympic shooting range but jeeze, the people are like robots in suits just focused on the score. I'm aswell afraid to go to my club sometimes since most people are 30+ and seeing a kid shooting there makes them feel "oh boy, this must be another "weapons are cool" kid.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

the people are like robots in suits just focused on the score.
How do you know? Have you asked them? What do you suppose the focus is about? Perhaps their method of measuiring if they are improving? What do you think they should be focused on?
I'm aswell afraid to go to my club sometimes since most people are 30+ and seeing a kid shooting there makes them feel "oh boy, this must be another "weapons are cool" kid.
Has anyone said anything like that to you, or is it your imagination? Have you talked to any of the shooters (after they have finished shooting) about what it is they like about the sport, or what they think about young shooters coming to the range?

In most clubs youngsters are well accepted and looked at as the future of shooting, so the older shooters tend to help new shooters wherever they can, but won't jump in unless help is requested.

Does the club have a junior program? A Certified Coach? Have you asked?
conradin

Post by conradin »

william wrote:
conradin wrote:First of all I don't know much about air rifle.....
Wouldn't that bit have sufficed?
Yeah, but I do 10m match crossbow....everything is almost the same as air rifle...except you do need a very good thick glove. On the other hand you do not need an off hand stand, a table will do.
agentr

Post by agentr »

I hear ya bud!

He's right, just talk to the guys at your range. Many times, they just assume you already know what you are doing or else you wouldn't be there. They just might be worried you are better than them as well.

As far as rifle over pistol...I had the same dilemma years ago. However, You are on the right track. I chose pistol (air, free and standard) for the very same reason you are thinking. Rifles need to much flippin' equipment! Plus you need someone with a dump truck to transport all that crap, you need an extra hour before and after you shoot just to set up and tear down. There are way more competitors trying to take Your gold medal from you!

Like the other guy said..Everybody and his brother can, and DOES, shoot a rifle. Most people CAN'T shoot a pistol well. As a pistol shooter you can show up on the city bus, in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, and everything you need almost fits in a sandwich baggy jammed in your pocket.

Oh... and be careful of some of the advice you receive on these forums. If you listen to the guy that told you to put a "post-it" sticky note over your eye and then slap a headband over it...while you're at it, you may as well put a sign on your back that says "Kick Me". Just put a small piece of "Scotch Tape" over your non-aiming eye. Many of the guys I shoot with have been doing this for years.

If you do decide on pistol like I did, here are some entry level, new pistols to consider. I own or have shot all these...

World class accuracy and trigger without need for air tanks/pumps ...etc
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_46M_A ... igger/2690

Great entry level PCP but you will need a pump or tank to fill it.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Alfa_Proj ... istol/1564

I got my "ash waxed" by a kid with one of these a few years back!
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Ava ... _Match/308

Look on this forum for used PCP pistols. I see "world class" PCP Pistols all the time from $800-1500. The host of this website, Pilkingtons, has the best of the best if you want new...and can find the dough.

Good luck with your decision
emoky

Post by emoky »

agentr wrote:I hear ya bud!

He's right, just talk to the guys at your range. Many times, they just assume you already know what you are doing or else you wouldn't be there. They just might be worried you are better than them as well.

As far as rifle over pistol...I had the same dilemma years ago. However, You are on the right track. I chose pistol (air, free and standard) for the very same reason you are thinking. Rifles need to much flippin' equipment! Plus you need someone with a dump truck to transport all that crap, you need an extra hour before and after you shoot just to set up and tear down. There are way more competitors trying to take Your gold medal from you!

Like the other guy said..Everybody and his brother can, and DOES, shoot a rifle. Most people CAN'T shoot a pistol well. As a pistol shooter you can show up on the city bus, in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, and everything you need almost fits in a sandwich baggy jammed in your pocket.

Oh... and be careful of some of the advice you receive on these forums. If you listen to the guy that told you to put a "post-it" sticky note over your eye and then slap a headband over it...while you're at it, you may as well put a sign on your back that says "Kick Me". Just put a small piece of "Scotch Tape" over your non-aiming eye. Many of the guys I shoot with have been doing this for years.

If you do decide on pistol like I did, here are some entry level, new pistols to consider. I own or have shot all these...

World class accuracy and trigger without need for air tanks/pumps ...etc
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_46M_A ... igger/2690

Great entry level PCP but you will need a pump or tank to fill it.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Alfa_Proj ... istol/1564

I got my "ash waxed" by a kid with one of these a few years back!
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_Ava ... _Match/308

Look on this forum for used PCP pistols. I see "world class" PCP Pistols all the time from $800-1500. The host of this website, Pilkingtons, has the best of the best if you want new...and can find the dough.

Good luck with your decision

Thanks for everyone's help, im pretty sure that if i want to continue shooting i will with Pistol, but as i said before the dilemma now is if i even want to continue shooting. I mean, i enjoy shooting and everything but i have some social problems (social anxiety) which kind is forcing to tell myself as a excuse that "i don't enjoy it", im pretty sure that if i would and could shoot target pistol i would do it all day long because im alone and i can be relaxed. How do you guys just slightly ignore the other people and concentrate in what you are doing and enjoying? thanks
conradin

Post by conradin »

agentr wrote:Oh... and be careful of some of the advice you receive on these forums. If you listen to the guy that told you to put a "post-it" sticky note over your eye and then slap a headband over it...while you're at it, you may as well put a sign on your back that says "Kick Me". Just put a small piece of "Scotch Tape" over your non-aiming eye. Many of the guys I shoot with have been doing this for years.
There are more than a few World Cup finalists that used the sticky note on head band method. Trust me I was just as skeptical as you are when I saw the videos...I thought it was a joke. In this thread I was trying to demonstrate how "CHEAP" can you get...it does not mean you have to do it. I don't.
Scotch Tape on Glasses in front of non aiming eye is the common method.

Of course, not everyone is like Yusuf Dikec who does not wear any eye wear of any sort and shoot with both eyes open...two gold medals in Granada..
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

How do you guys just slightly ignore the other people and concentrate in what you are doing and enjoying?
You don't "slightly" ignore them. You totally ignore them. It is just a matter of focus on what you are doing.

Write down your shot routine, everything you do to make a good shot. Now, when you train you just go down the list (eventually it becomes automatic) one step at a time, focusing ONLY on that step. Everything else should be gone from your mind.

You can start at home by dry firing, but using the shot routine.

This is one of the few sports you will find that relies very little on social interaction with others. It's you against the target. Since the target just sits there waiting it is really you against yourself. Take control of your own mind/thoughts, and enjoy a great life time sport.
emoky

Post by emoky »

Pat McCoy wrote:
How do you guys just slightly ignore the other people and concentrate in what you are doing and enjoying?
You don't "slightly" ignore them. You totally ignore them. It is just a matter of focus on what you are doing.

Write down your shot routine, everything you do to make a good shot. Now, when you train you just go down the list (eventually it becomes automatic) one step at a time, focusing ONLY on that step. Everything else should be gone from your mind.

You can start at home by dry firing, but using the shot routine.

This is one of the few sports you will find that relies very little on social interaction with others. It's you against the target. Since the target just sits there waiting it is really you against yourself. Take control of your own mind/thoughts, and enjoy a great life time sport.

Thanks for everyone's help.
So yesterday me and buddy went skeet shooting, yeah, i was AMAZED by how fascinating the sport is, the super fast instincts just insane, i had a blast, i might as well maybe continue shooting 10m Air Pistol but by now i am shocked by skeet shooting.