Vision

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Vision

Post by conradin »

Lately due to my medication change, I begin to have blurred vision, as if I have quite bad far-sightedness.
Assuming I am going to get a pair of glasses, will my poor vision still prevent me from shooting? Are there anyone who can still be a competitive target shooter despite having bad vision thus require glasses?
David Levene

Re: Vision

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:Are there anyone who can still be a competitive target shooter despite having bad vision thus require glasses?
Why do you think companies like Champion make shooting frames?

They're for people who need to wear glasses for shooting.

Glasses are not an obstacle to competitive shooting.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I don't know what is going on with your eyes, but dry eyes will interfere with your focus. Ask your M.D. if you will need drops.

Roger
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Conradin:

I just went through a series of treatments for a liquid bubble between the retina and the back of the eyeball in my dominant eye. It happened suddenly during a session of hard physical labor and was caused by a temporary spike in blood pressure. Initially, I had a grey spot in the middle of my vision that was centered and completely covered the bull and red dot when using my pistol. At that point in time, my scores suffered and while I was able to compete, I had about a 3% to 5% reduction in scores.

To fix this situation, I began a series of eyeball "treatments" from the terrorists at the Lansing Ophthalmology Clinic. Not going to say what the treatments consisted of but they started out every three weeks and gradually diminished in frequency until now, where my last eyeball injection was back in February. My next appointment is in a couple weeks and I do not think I am going to need a treatment then either.

For over the last couple of years, when I began these treatments, I have competed every week, sometimes the day after a treatment where my eyeball vision was very fuzzy. I did try shooting with my non dominant eyeball but that just did not work out. I did better with my fuzzy dominant eyeball as opposed to my perfect left eyeball but that might have been because of the unfamiliarity with the readjusted stance, sight picture, head angle, and many other variables.

To put exact numbers on the effect of the vision impairment, prior to this happening I had a 815 +/- average on a 900 point 22 LR bullseye match, although that was with a Izh 35m that had reliability issues. On a couple of matches the day after a treatment, I would score 780+/- or so. Currently, with my restored vision, my new pardini which has had zero alibi's, and with renewed enthusiasm from my improved performance, I am averaging about 840 out of 900 and climbing.

Furthermore, I also compete in 4 position shooting and while I passed on competitions most of the time the day after a treatment, I saw a lesser effect on my scores then with the pistol.

So, to answer your question, you will be able to compete with diminished vision but do everything you can to preserve your eyesight.

Regards,
Crankster
conradin

Post by conradin »

I will be seeing the eye doctor Monday or Tuesday. Thank you for sharing the story. It made me feel less anxiety. I genuinely thinks that my shooting will be a past..
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Conradin:

even if your vision is fuzzy you will still be able to compete. Also, a good optometrist that is a shooter will be able to set you up with glasses that have the focal length based on the sight distance.

I just experienced serious vision impairment and while my vision is not as good as it was two years ago, I am shooting just as well if not better then before. It might take you a short time to adjust to the new prescriptions you still have lots of shooting left in ya.

Now I wouldn't be constructing a display case for the Olympic gold medal but I am sure the regional trophy would work.

Regards,
Cranky
Chris

Post by Chris »

pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

I went from great 20/20 vision in my dominant eye one day to nothing the next. My eye Dr. said he could fix the hole in my eye but if everything went perfectly I would keep my eye but be blind. I now shoot out of my 20/200 none dominate eye. I went from shooting low 880's to high 870's. I have my most problems during rapid fire there is always a few more nines as it is hard to quickly put the dot into the middle of a fuzzy black. I'm hoping with more practice I'll get it, but I truly miss my vision.