Interpretation of safety rule

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Spencer

Re: Interpretation of safety rule

Post by Spencer »

Given that this is equally applicable to Air Rifle, it should be moved to 'Shooters' Lounge' (but I not all that familiar with the Moderators page to do so)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:Given that this is equally applicable to Air Rifle, it should be moved to 'Shooters' Lounge' (but I not all that familiar with the Moderators page to do so)
Your wish is my command (you should see a box at the bottom-left of the thread "quick-mod tools).
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:
Spencer wrote:Given that this is equally applicable to Air Rifle, it should be moved to 'Shooters' Lounge' (but I not all that familiar with the Moderators page to do so)
Your wish is my command (you should see a box at the bottom-left of the thread "quick-mod tools).
knew I had seen it somewhere - thanks
(probably driving a lot of people crazy trying to find out what we are discussing)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

As you are not stepping away from the line, IMO there is no issue.
However, as an RO if I see a shooter load, then aim and pull off and open the gate and set the gun down, it WILL get my attention and I'll start moving to that point watching closely. An adjustment of ear protection, wiping of hands where the shooter does not leave the line, no issue. BUT, if in my opinion, the shooter moves "focus" (hmmm... how to define?) away from what he/she is doing on the line, I'll move in to say somethng.

Most ROs understand that once a pellet is leaded it isdifficult to get out other than the intended method.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

jhmartin wrote:As you are not stepping away from the line, IMO there is no issue.
However, as an RO if I see a shooter load, then aim and pull off and open the gate and set the gun down, it WILL get my attention and I'll start moving to that point watching closely. An adjustment of ear protection, wiping of hands where the shooter does not leave the line, no issue. BUT, if in my opinion, the shooter moves "focus" (hmmm... how to define?) away from what he/she is doing on the line, I'll move in to say somethng.

Most ROs understand that once a pellet is leaded it isdifficult to get out other than the intended method.

+1
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

A long time ago, in another millenium, when the ISSF was called UIT and I was starting with Air Pistol as a junior, I learned and applied until today, that I won't lay down an already loaded AP, even if the lever is open. There was nothing so urgent that it couldn't wait until the next shot was fired and I could place the pistol down open and safe. And it helped to prevent double-loading when I picked it up again. I do this with every other gun, too, also single-shot's.

Why should there be a difference between a loaded, but open air pistol and a .22 or .308 match-rifle with a cartridge in, but action opened? Would someone lay that down?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote: Why should there be a difference between a loaded, but open air pistol and a .22 or .308 match-rifle with a cartridge in, but action opened? Would someone lay that down?
The difference is, as I'm sure you know, that it's a lot easier to unload a cartridge than it is to unload an air pistol.

I get the impression that some people think this is a new rule. It's been in the rule book since Noah was a boy.
ldevedia

Post by ldevedia »

The rule is clear. The cartridge (in this case the pellet) has to be removed. Otherwise the safety flag could not be inserted.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ldevedia wrote:The rule is clear. The cartridge (in this case the pellet) has to be removed. Otherwise the safety flag could not be inserted.
I think you have missed the point.

If you are are standing in your shooting position and just want to put the air pistol down then you don't have to put the safety flag in (obviously unless "STOP" has been called)
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

The real issue that I have not seen addressed is what happens if a Stop order is given while a shooter has an AP/AR laying on the bench with the breech open but with a pellet in the chamber. It is virtually impossible to remove a pellet without the use of a rod, the strimmer cord is certainly not going to do it in most AR's if the pellet is at all tight in the breech. In the past I have been in the position of having to put the rifle down in order to completely rebuild the position, after not being able to get the shot away on a couple of attempts. Forcing the shot usually ends with a very bad shot. I might even add in a couple of dry fires in this process, just to get the confidence back.

Alan.
rmca

Post by rmca »

BigAl wrote:The real issue that I have not seen addressed is what happens if a Stop order is given while a shooter has an AP/AR laying on the bench with the breech open but with a pellet in the chamber.
You raise your arm, wait for the judge/referee to come to you, explain the situation to him/her, and do what he/she tells you to do. Simple!

Hope this helps
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

rmca wrote:
BigAl wrote:The real issue that I have not seen addressed is what happens if a Stop order is given while a shooter has an AP/AR laying on the bench with the breech open but with a pellet in the chamber.
You raise your arm, wait for the judge/referee to come to you, explain the situation to him/her, and do what he/she tells you to do. Simple!

Hope this helps
Congratulations - brilliant!
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

rmca wrote:

Hope this helps
Very, but would you not like to know what they are going to tell you to do? It's always good to know what should happen, then you can train for it. I don't recall seeing the procedure to be carried out with AR/AP when stop is called and you have a loaded gun. That must happen reasonably often on ranges.

Alan
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

BigAl wrote: I don't recall seeing the procedure to be carried out with AR/AP when stop is called and you have a loaded gun. That must happen reasonably often on ranges.
I can't remember ever seeing it on an air range in an emergency situation.

More common is a situation where the RO knows that a "Stop" will be required and simply asks the shooters to fire any pellet they have loaded and not load another.

It really all depends why the "Stop" is being called. If it's an emergency then the first thing I would want to see is the gun on the bench with the loading port open. I can then make a considered decision in comparative safety
rmca

Post by rmca »

BigAl wrote:Very, but would you not like to know what they are going to tell you to do? It's always good to know what should happen, then you can train for it. I don't recall seeing the procedure to be carried out with AR/AP when stop is called and you have a loaded gun. That must happen reasonably often on ranges.
Well it depends on why the stop is needed.
As David said, if there is an emergency, then a loaded air gun on the bench with the port open is "safe enough".
If the stop isn't caused by something that needs to be dealt immediately, like a power outage for instance, you will probably be given the order to discharge the gun into the back stop or somewhere safe.

Stops are not common, at least in my experience, and should be dealt with like any other distraction. Don't make a big deal out of them...

Hope this helps
PCU

Post by PCU »

The need to sometimes remove a pellet is why most ranges have portable pellet discharge containers; often a plain old can, with padding in it, mounted on a small pole 3-4 feet long. It can be held in front of muzzle from behind the firing line. Also used to clear when double loaded.