Iris

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TommyH

Iris

Post by TommyH »

Hi

Is it important to have the iris aperture right in the centre of the shooting lens? Mine is off centre. A friend at the shooting club noticed when I said my sight is sometimes blurred (don't know whether it's down to floaters etc but it's only with my sight picture during shooting). My shooting lens is prescription and it was configured by optician for focusing on the foresight of my pistol.

Thanks

Tom
Rover

Re: Iris

Post by Rover »

I can't tell you exactly how important it is, but one shooting glasses manufacturer makes a device to ensure that his glasses are set up for you precisely centered.

I fuss with mine a bit.
conradin

Post by conradin »

This is why there is a "centerer" device.
justadude

Post by justadude »

It depends on how far off center...

Your prescription lens is at its best when you are looking through the exact center and your line of vision is perpendicular to the plane of the lens. The more angled the lens with respect to your line of vision or further off center the less well your prescription will perform.

Looking through the lens at an angle degrades the performance of the prescription more rapidly than not looking through the exact center of the lens.

Now, having said all of that, if you are looking through the center 1/3 of the lens and the tilt is not more than say 15 degrees from perpendicular you are in a pretty safe zone. Outside of that, you really should consider changing something.

'Dude
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Thanks for the replies, there's more to it than I thought.

Tom
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I've got the lens holder rotated about 15 degrees on my Olympic Champion shooting glasses. Same with the occluder on the other eye. For my stance that's about right to keep the lens surface parallel to my eye and the lens-mounted iris dead ahead of the centre of the lens, exactly in line with my eye and the target.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Remember stance. Just because you see guys shooting at 90 degrees to the target does not mean it's for you. Get yourself in a position where your glasses are comfortably centered and take it from there. You might not think so, but stances tend to be "trendy", so go with what is comfortable.