Who remembers...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

Who remembers...

Post by Rover »

the Women Shooters Union, with Olympian Joan Gladwell (all white teeth and big blue eyes), the lovely Gail Liberty, and feisty butt-kickin' Ruby Fox?

Many old timers joined just to support them and compete as teams.

Were you around? I loved you gals!
Old Shooter

Re: Who remembers...

Post by Old Shooter »

I remember all very well. In particular I shot with Ruby several times...before she actually attained her highest levels.

You left off the two ladies I particularly admire...Kim Dier and Elizabeth Gathright (sp?)

All these women enjoyed beating hell out of any guy they felt didn't respect them.
I believe all were distinguished and all broke 2600 in NRA 3-gun matches...
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I was an early male member. Shot USISC at Phoenix in 74,75,76 and 80. I know or knew many of the founding or other early members. I never throw anything away so I still have the newsletters and other documents they published.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Old Shooter mentioned Elizabeth Gathright. She and I are members of the same gun club. She is still active and coaches (along with her husband Tom) a bi-weekly practice of those wishing to improve their bullseye shooting skills.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ruby drops by Phoenix Rod & Gun from time to time and chats with the old farts, but I did have a crush on Joan Gladwell.
Old Shooter

Post by Old Shooter »

PaulB,
Please speak with both Tom and Elizabeth Gathright about scanning this forum...

Both are outstanding shooters and coaches and would provide extremely valuable insights for the many new shooters that are here...

Additionally, I believe Tom Gathright is the most knowledgeable 45acp reloader I've ever met. If he would share the wealth of reloading information he has acquired it would be awesome...he used to do everything including casting, sizing, reloading and testing. And his tests weren't from sandbags at 25 yards...it was from a ransom rest at 50 yards with a minimum of 10 shots....when he spoke, everybody within earshot stopped and listened.

I still use his setups.....awesome guy.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

PaulB wrote:I never throw anything away
This is very true.
robertemory

Post by robertemory »

Joan Gladwell is still shooting bullseye and competes at Perry. She still misses her 3 adopted huts, torn down to build those new barracks.