Pan Am Games rifle selection

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rmarsh

Pan Am Games rifle selection

Post by rmarsh »

Recently USAS posted the selection procedures for the Pan Am Games. For rifle they stated there is not time in the schedule to hold a selection match so the USAS staff will just select the competitors. Pan Am is a regular event. How could they not know enough ahead of time to schedule a selection match, or use other scheduled matches as the selection match(s)? Can someone out there explain why the selection process was skipped.....??
Rick Marsh

Vice-Chairman
USA Shooting Board of Directors
kaban56

Re: Pan Am Games rifle selection

Post by kaban56 »

Could you please show me (us) where it says that? This is quite interesting....
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

kaban56 wrote:Could you please show me (us) where it says that? This is quite interesting....

USAS website go to "RESOURCES" then "POLICIES and PROCEDURES". A ways down the page is a NEW listing of 2015 Pan Am games selection process.
Rick Marsh

Vice-Chairman
USA Shooting Board of Directors
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Note it's a new posting, but the document was actually written in May ... 3-1/2 months ago.
This "selection" procedure severely limits those who will be "chosen".
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Was reading it this morning and had a similar thought. The only thing I can put my finger on is that the Pan Am games are in June, so thinking of possible selection, Air Rifle could have been Nationals at Ft. Benning and WAG? Smallbore could have been Nationals and January's smallbore selection? Still pretty tight - seems it should have been published Nov 2013 to help on the time crunch.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Another new document to check out is the PSS - Performance Standards
http://www.usashooting.org/library/VI_P ... s_2015.pdf

In this World Championsip only 4 US rifle shooters fired the new PSS scores:
M 3x40 1169 - Emmons 1170
M Prone 624 - McPhail 625 (X2 -elim and qualification)
W 3x20 583 - Sowash 584
W Air 417 - Miles 417.4 (in the jr competition - Freshman at TCU this year)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

WOW .. as you start studying all the documents you begin to wonder.
Especially for Rifle/Pistol ------

CAT Selection Procedures:
1. Rifle & Pistol athletes qualifying to the 2014 World Shooting Championships in the open Olympic events (three athletes per event) will also qualify to the 2014 CAT Team.
Refer to Policies and Procedures Section IX for selection procedures.
So it appears that the CAT games shooters are already determined.
Not much wiggle room for more athletes to qualify for PanAm games either.
The doc for qualifying for the 2015 World cups has not been released yet, but will it be any different than the PanAm & CAT?
Looks to me that USAS has already decided on the Rio shooters. Well, hopefully their selections can:
1) Meet PSS
2) Win a quota slot .........
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

WCH selection in May selected the Smallbore and Air Rifle teams for the remaining World Cups of the year (Munich and Slovenia), WCH Team (obviously), and Championship of the Americas. The reasoning behind it was to avoid the situation with London 2012 where athletes were selected in June and had to be ready to compete in July. By selecting for multiple teams at once, it would give the team time to prepare, as well as getting the more inexperienced members some time in international competition before quota slots were on the line.

Looking at the ISSF Schedule for 2015, there are three World Cups in two months next year: Changwon Apr 8 to Apr 16, Benning May 11 to May 19, and Munich May 26 to Jun 5. The Pan-Am Games start July 10. My guess is that there will be a selection match in early 2015 to select the World Cup team, with the Pan-Am team then being selected at the coach's discretion based on those results. In the past that selection match has been in January at the OTC, but that has also been in the years that have a World Cup in March. Given the late start to the World Cup circuit next year, I have to wonder if the Rocky Mountain Championships will serve as that selection for 2015.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Problem with Rocky is that all the collegiate shooters are unable to attend.
That's why the selection matches were held in Jan before they all went back to school.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Ah, right, forgot about that whole school thing. I also seem to remember that NCAA Championship Qualifiers are all within a week of RMC as well. In that case, I would anticipate (and plan for) a January selection at the OTC that will likely select for most of the year.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Per the new 2015 calendar update - USAS has the Rifle Selection at the OTC January 5 - 11 with the spring selection at Ft. Benning March 29-April 3.